Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Dell Deminsion 9100 no power

• Please log in to reply

tracysw

tracysw

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Last Monday moring I came into work and my computer had shut down. No Power not fans no P.O.S.T. no display nothing. The fans in the power supply weren't running so I assumed the power supply was toast (no need for elaboration on assumptions lol)

I installed the new power supply thins morning and the same thing is happening. I have disconnected everything in the computer so far nothing has worked. I removed the graphics card both NICs, the primary and secondary harddrives, floppy, DVD, and the memory simms one at a time and swapped simm slots just in case still no joy.

The only thing that gives any indication that power is applied is the "Aux_Pwr_LED"about in the center of the mother board. If I plug in power to the computer the Aux_Pwr_LED will illuminate and will stay that way for approximately 45 seconds to a minute due to capcitor bleed down after I remove power from the computer.

I believe whatever has caused the problem may have ruined the new power supply as soon as I installed it so I'm stuck till I figure out what's gone south.

Any Ideas?

Tracy

Advertisements

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Hi tracysw and :)

You generally won't have PSU fans till the computer turns on.
The "Aux_Pwr_LED" is lit indicating you have 5vdc standby power on the board. That means that you at least have 5vdc from the PSU.
Pushing the start button gives a momentary contact to 2 of the header pins on the main board.
It in turn will turn on the PSU thereby starting the boot up process.

Hook up the very basics, a "bench test":

* Remove the motherboard from the case and place it on a piece of cardboard
* Install only the CPU with heatsink and fan (remember to use thermal paste and plug in the fan)
* Install only 1 stick of ram in dimm 1 (consult your motherboard manual for which slot is to be used)
* Hook up the Power Supply (there should be a 20 or 24pin connector, and a 4 or 8pin connector)
* Use onboard video, (if not available, use a video card)
* Use any momentary case switch, or have your case close enough to install it's case switch
* Make sure there is a case speaker connected, many modern motherboards have a onboard speaker
* Connect a ps2 mouse and keyboard along with the monitor
* Power the system on

DO NOT hook up the hard drive, CD/DVD, case fans, lights, or anything else not mentioned above

If the system does not power on, replace the 1 stick of RAM with the other stick.
Are you getting any kind of beep codes?
Do you get any video?
Can you get to the BIOS? (Consult motherboard manual on how to enter the BIOS for your motherboard)
Do the fans remain on, but no video?

123runner

tracysw

tracysw

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
hey 123Runner,

Thanks for the reply. Well I set up the computer like you said, motherboard out of the case, pwr supply processor heatsink and fan, video card mouse and keyboard and one simm and nothing happened. Tried the other simm and still nothing happened. disconnected the fans incase they might have been booging it down and anything else I could think of which wasn't much but still nothing happened. I am unable to get to any functions of the computer/motherboard, bios or anything no beeps, video, post or fans. I'm thinkin she's gone to the big tron graveyard in the sky.

Thanks for your help I appriciate it.

Tracy