Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Stuck loading at Win XP logo screen *SOLVED*

• Please log in to reply

AdgeT

AdgeT

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Hi. I recently ran into a problem where my system loads all the way to the Win XP logo screen then won't go any further. It doesn't freeze, just keeps running the loading bar. My system specs are in my sig, but I'll give you some recent history.

I had to reinstall my sound card drivers a few times because I accidentally installed a second set of drivers when I was trying to install a program off the CD that came with the card. I finally got the right drivers installed and my sound card working again, and everything seemed peachy. However, last night I went to turn off my computer and didn't realize until this morning that it hung in Windows on shutdown because of some dialog boxes regarding programs that were still running. I clicked end now on everything and Windows cleared the screen so all I could see was my background. Then it froze. Never got to the Win XP shutdown screen.

So eventually, I pressed my reset button. Only I haven't been able to get back into XP since. Safe mode works, but "Last Known Good Configuration..." wouldn't load me into XP, nor would restoring the system from a Restore Point. Everything reaches the XP logo screen, then keeps loading, and loading, and loading...

I've run Malwarebytes' Antimalware's quick and full scans and they came up with no problems. Any other ideas?

Thanks.

ADDITIONAL INFO: Just remembered that during my sound card update, two viruses were found and (supposedly) deleted. Then two more were found and again (supposedly) deleted. But the reboot after sound card update worked fine. Also, I had an ipod plugged into the computer when it hung on my background and I pressed the restart button. Usually, when my ipod is plugged it, the computer tries to load the OS from the ipod, which slows down the booting cycle as it checks the ipod. Just trying to provide all the info I can, since when I search for similar problems, I'm finding old, dead threads and no confirmations of solutions.

Thanks again.

Edited by AdgeT, 23 February 2010 - 04:40 PM.

Advertisements

AdgeT

AdgeT

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
UPDATE 2/22/10 @ 5:31p CST: Now I can't even boot into Safe Mode. Ugh! After doing some reading on boards, I tried to set up chkdisk to scan my OS HDD after a reboot. Well, it rebooted, but it didn't scan, just went straight to the XP logo screen again. Tried to go back into Safe Mode with Networking and with Command Prompt, neither of which worked, instead just freezing after a bunch of drivers are listed out in the DOS screen.

Anyone? Please help.

AdgeT

AdgeT

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
UPDATE 2/23/10 @ 12:12 PM CDT: I unplugged my firewire cable that was connecting my two external hard drives to the computer before trying another boot up. This time it booted fine.

UPDATE 2/23/10 @ 4:38 PM CDT: I am no longer able to access my external HDDs via Win XP on this computer. I suspect a problem with the FW 400 port (the only one I have is on my sound card, and I'm guessing the driver update messed with the FW port's functionality) seeing that both drives connected just fine to another desktop in the house.

Edited by AdgeT, 23 February 2010 - 04:40 PM.