Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

windows xp logs on then logs off straight away

• Please log in to reply

derkonfire

derkonfire

• Pip
  • 5 posts
heya,

basically one day my pc went to the blue screen fter a crash & when i restarted & logged on it logged me off straight away. i understand you need a windows xp boot cd which i've made one, i followed the instructions about going onto recovery console from another thread.

http://www.geekstogo...-...ost&p=83937

unfortunately i have no idea what i'm doing. i've got recovery console & it says;

"1: J:\MININT
2: C:\WINDOWS

Which Windows installation would you like to log onto?"

now i assume i'll be using 2 of course so i'll type in 2 & press enter. this is where i get stuck. on the instructions it says;

"at the command prompt go to

C:/windows/system32"

it says C:\WINDOWS> for me but when i type system32, it says the command is not recognised. i know system32 isn't a command but tbh i have no idea what it is i'm supposed to type here. i desperately need to fix this, i have ALOT of music work that i can't get to (that will teach me to not back my stuff up) so it's imperative i get this fixed. if anyone can help i would very much appreciate it.

thank you.

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
Hi derkonfire ... :) ..:)
If you do not have a windows xp disk, download the following file: rc.iso....from here..then run chkdsk /r... from the cd...be sure the bios is set to boot from the cd drive first...

go here and get burncdcc ..a small FAST no frills iso burning program...

NOTE...do not put a blank cd in until burncdcc opens the tray for you
1. Start BurnCDCC by clicking on BurnCDCC.exe
2. Browse to the ISO file you want to burn on cd/dvd ....in this case its rc.iso
3. Select the ISO file
4. click on Start

make sure in the bios the cd drive is the first boot device....put the cd in the cd drive..boot your computer....when you get to the screen that gives you the option to install or repair ...select r...then when you get to the prompt...type in chkdsk /r..press enter

NOTE THE SINGLE SPACE BEFORE THE /
While chkdsk is running you will see a light blue window with a dark blue band at the top and bottom. or a black dos box depending on on which cd you use... a Chkdsk will display the specific stage it is checking as well as the percentage of completion of the stage....
there are 5 stages...it may appear to hang at a certain % for a hour or more...it even will sometimes go back over a area...this is normal...
DO NOT SHUT DOWN THE COMPUTER OR YOU CAN HAVE SERIOUS PROBLEMS...it can take a long time depending on how large the drive is...
You cannot do anything else on your computer while chkdsk is running. When chkdsk is finished, it will automatically reboot your computer....

then Go to Start...Run and type: eventvwr.msc press enter
When Event Viewer opens, click on Applications... then scroll down to Winlogon and double-click on it. This is the log created after running Checkdisk...copy and paste the log back here

derkonfire

derkonfire

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
well i have a windows xp boot cd & i'm currently running chkdsk /r now. is this fine or do i need to burn that cd?

EDIT: yeah it didn't rstart & when i tried to log on it still has the same problem. i'll give that other cd thing a go.

Edited by derkonfire, 22 February 2010 - 05:16 PM.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
did chkdsk ever finish running...it may appear to hang but don't reboot...let it set for at least 2 hours before you force a reboot...
if running chkdsk /r does not help you will have to repair xp...for the how to repair your operating system guides...
go here...

derkonfire

derkonfire

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
yeah chkdsk /r didn't work, it finished & never rebooted & i left it for a good few hours. i'll give repair install a try tomorrow. are you sure that it will leave my personal files alone? it's rly important that these don't get erased, there's over 5 years of work there.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts

there's over 5 years of work there

are you saying you have no backups of any of your data...

if so...lets get your data backed up before the repair...the repair wont hurt your data but you really should have backups in case the drive dies...

you can remove the drive and slave it to a working system to try and get your data...
or get
get puppy linux 2.16.1-seamonkey-fulldrivers.iso here...
if you don't have a burning program that will burn .ISO files go here and get burncdcc ..a small FAST no frills iso burning program...

1. click on BurnCDCC.exe
2. Browse to the ISO file you want to burn on cd/dvd ....in this case its puppy-2.16-seamonkey-fulldrivers.iso
3. Select the ISO file
4. click on Start

make sure in the bios the cd drive is the first boot device....

put the cd in the cd drive..boot your computer....puppy will boot and run totally in ram...
after you get it running and your at the desktop...you take the puppy linux cd out and then you can use the burner to copy all your data to cd/dvds
you can also use it to backup your data to usb flash drives or a external usb hard drive..just have it hooked to the computer when you boot up with puppy...
==========================
quick guide for saving data...music..files on a system that will not boot using puppy Linux..

this guide is for using usb flash drives but if you have a external hard drive just substitute your external drive where it says flash drive

after you get to puppy desktop..
click on the drives icon...looks like a flash drive...top row..it will list all the drives connected to

your computer...

click on the red icon for the drive you want to mount...in this case its a flash drive ...puppy will
mount the drive..the drive icon turns green when its mounted...
minimize the drives mounter window..you will need it again in a few minutes..
drag the right edge of it sideways to shrink it ...about half the width of the screen...then drag the window to the right edge of the screen...

now click on the icon that looks like a filing cabinet (kind of yellow) on the main drive...it should
already be green..
you will see a list of all the folders on the main drive Usually your C: drive..shrink that window tabout half the width of the screen...drag that window to the left side of the screen...
at this point you should have 2 windows open on your desktop..the flash drive on the right side..
go back to the folders on the C: drive...click on the documents and settings folder...then your user
name or all users..find the folders that contains your data..
drag and drop the folder with the data you want to make copies of to the flash drive window...

your options are to move ..copy ect...JUST COPY..if its to big you will have to open the folder and
drag and drop individual files until the flash drive is full...(I have a 120 GB external USB drive for
big data recovery jobs and a 16GB flash drive for the smaller jobs)..after you get the files copied to
the flash drive...
Click on the drives mounter you minimized earlier
UNMOUNT THE FLASH DRIVE by clicking on the green icon..you will once in awhile get error messages when
unmouting the drive..ignore them..when the flash drive icon turns red again its safe to remove the
flash drive..trot on over (stroll if you want to look cool) to another computer and plug in the flash
drive and copy all the data files ( I drag and drop) to the other computer..
make sure the other computer can read them...

now delete the data on the flash drive...take it back to the misbehaving computer and plug it in
again..click on the drives icon again and repeat until you have all your data transferred to the working
system..

Edited by happyrock, 25 February 2010 - 07:57 AM.

derkonfire

derkonfire

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
yeah i did have a backup of my files, unfortuntely the drive it was all on was lost the previous weekend & i'm pretty sure its been nicked from my bag (i was at an event & my bag was backstage). i've now backed it all up so its safe but i'm trying to do the repair install & when it's gets to the EULA agreement it says it cannot find it & i cannot continue with setup. i thing i noticed is that the setup is for XP home, & my pc is media centre. is this gonna make a difference? or is it yet another problem that i don't know about? thanks for the advice about puppy linux though, it was a great help & definitely something i'm gonna recommend for backing broken systems up to everyone i know. i'll never badmouth linux again!

derkonfire

derkonfire

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
sorry to bump but i rly do need to fix this problem. i have a lot of work i need to be getting on with, & i'd rather know now if i have to buy a new pc.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Send Happyrock a message and he should be able to get back to you then. He is pretty busy so he may have missed a email notification about your topic.

Edited by rshaffer61, 02 March 2010 - 07:29 AM.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
CHKDSK /R verifies the integrity of the hard drive containing the Windows XP installation... it’s important to be sure that the drive is physically capable of running windows, and that it contains no bad sectors or other corruptions that might be the culprit

did you ever run the repair...
can you boot into safe mode or safe mode with networking...
if you can boot into windows in any fashion then Go to Start...Run and type: eventvwr.msc press enter
When Event Viewer opens, click on Applications... then scroll down to Winlogon and double-click on it. This is the log created after running Checkdisk...copy and paste the log back here...
if you are unable to boot into safe mode...look in the bios and get the hard drive info and let us know the model number so we can direct you to the proper tool to test the hard drive

Edited by happyrock, 02 March 2010 - 06:56 AM.

skeestylus

skeestylus

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I had the same problem. I'm running XP. The problem started after running a virus scan using Malwarebytes software. Upon restart I couldn't access any desktop however I was able to boot into windows. I was only able to see my desktop background. Using ctl+alt+del I was able to run my McAfee it zapped a few problems but upon restart I got the log in and quickly out. Tried safe modes and same thing.

I've followed your directions below to the T. However I'm concerned because I get to the part where I press R but instead of a prompt to enter chkdsk /r I get: "Setup did not find any hard disk drives installed on your computer" HELP!!!

Hi derkonfire ... :) ..:)
If you do not have a windows xp disk, download the following file: rc.iso....from here..then run chkdsk /r... from the cd...be sure the bios is set to boot from the cd drive first...

go here and get burncdcc ..a small FAST no frills iso burning program...

1. Start BurnCDCC by clicking on BurnCDCC.exe
2. Browse to the ISO file you want to burn on cd/dvd ....in this case its rc.iso
3. Select the ISO file
4. click on Start

make sure in the bios the cd drive is the first boot device....put the cd in the cd drive..boot your computer....when you get to the screen that gives you the option to install or repair ...select r...then when you get to the prompt...type in chkdsk /r..press enter

NOTE THE SINGLE SPACE BEFORE THE /
While chkdsk is running you will see a light blue window with a dark blue band at the top and bottom. or a black dos box depending on on which cd you use... a Chkdsk will display the specific stage it is checking as well as the percentage of completion of the stage....
there are 5 stages...it may appear to hang at a certain % for a hour or more...it even will sometimes go back over a area...this is normal...
DO NOT SHUT DOWN THE COMPUTER OR YOU CAN HAVE SERIOUS PROBLEMS...it can take a long time depending on how large the drive is...
You cannot do anything else on your computer while chkdsk is running. When chkdsk is finished, it will automatically reboot your computer....

then Go to Start...Run and type: eventvwr.msc press enter
When Event Viewer opens, click on Applications... then scroll down to Winlogon and double-click on it. This is the log created after running Checkdisk...copy and paste the log back here