Free help from tech experts
Welcome to Geeks to Go forums. Create an account now to gain access to all our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing topics, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. Best of all, registration and all assistance is 100% free! This message, and all ads will be removed once you have signed in.
Sign In Create Account

Need backup advice--Norton Ghost? Multiple partitions?

• Please log in to reply

lizgold

lizgold

• PipPip
  • 52 posts
Hi--

I recently had a scare where I thought I'd lost some of my data. I thought I had good backups using Norton Ghost 12, but when I went to restore, Ghost had not been backing up some of the partitions since Christmas! (It's set to backup several times a week.)

I'm a photographer and I have a LOT of valuable photo files, so I can't take any chances. I have about 700gb of data and two 500gb backup drives.

On the old docs drive (which I've replaced), I had several partitions that I backed up on alternate days. However, it seems like doing it this way, the Ghost backup sets take up a huge amount of space on the backup drives. It may be that Ghost wasn't backing up because it didn't think there was room on the backup drives.

I know everyone has partition & backup strategies, but I would appreciate suggestions on how to keep everything safely backed up without using too much HD space.

• Should I use something other than Ghost?
  • Would it take up less backup space to have fewer partitions (but none too large to backup to a 500gb backup drive)?

Thanks!

Similar Topics: Need backup advice--Norton Ghost? Multiple partitions?     x

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,167 posts
I had the same issue recently where a ghost backup was not performed because of disc space. I manipulated my partitions to create more back up space.

I also use Syncback Free.
So I am backing up using 2 different programs. Syncback you can set to do folders and sub folders or just files.

I also back up to 1 internal and 2 separate external drives.

123runner

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
Apart from making a disk-image backup of my system partition, I don't trust backup programs (especially not scheduled backups) to back up my data files.

I too am a photographer. I have three drives for backup and I do it manually every day.

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
There are several ways to backup data, none of which are perfect. Here is an article by Geekstogo that covers the subject. Options for Home Computer Data Backup Part 1 Have a read at it.

To me, the best back up solution is having your data hard drives in a RAID 1 configuration (if your motherboard supports it) which is having two hard drives of the same size mirror each other. The idea here is that it is very unlikely that two drives would fail at the exact same time... and when one does fail, simply replace it and you now have two copies again. If your motherboard doesn't support RAID then I believe there are external enclosures you can buy to setup for RAID, not 100% sure on this.

However, RAID 1 doesn't help in a natural disaster or fire at your home. So using an online storage company along with RAID 1 can help prevent that. By doing both, there is a pretty good chance you can hold on to your DATA forever.

Computeky

Computeky

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Ghost is great but you have to set it up properly. The reason it's taking up sooo much space is that you did not st the options correctly. Try limiting the recovery saved to 3 When the backdrive gets full ghost will automatly delete the oldest recovery point automatically.

MB MCSE

unplugme77

unplugme77

• Pip
  • 1 posts

There are several ways to backup data, none of which are perfect. Here is an article by Geekstogo that covers the subject. Options for Home Computer Data Backup Part 1 Have a read at it.

To me, the best back up solution is having your data hard drives in a RAID 1 configuration (if your motherboard supports it) which is having two hard drives of the same size mirror each other. The idea here is that it is very unlikely that two drives would fail at the exact same time... and when one does fail, simply replace it and you now have two copies again. If your motherboard doesn't support RAID then I believe there are external enclosures you can buy to setup for RAID, not 100% sure on this.

However, RAID 1 doesn't help in a natural disaster or fire at your home. So using an online storage company along with RAID 1 can help prevent that. By doing both, there is a pretty good chance you can hold on to your DATA forever.

First, RAID 1 is not a backup. It just provides data redudancy. A backup will be a device that's connected to another device through some interface (iSCSI, USB, Firewire, etc) that can be detached at any time.

If data on one hard drive of RAID 1 is corrupted, it will corrupt to the second drive. So this is why RAID 1 is not a backup.

You should always have a backup of your backup!

eg. (Main computer is your primary device, then an external hard drive is your first backup, then having either remote/online storage as your second backup)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

As Featured On:

featured