Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New thermal paste or not?

• Please log in to reply

Mitesh

Mitesh

• PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
I upgraded my PC 3 years ago and used Arctic Silver 5. After building the system I didnt use it for that long so the thermal paste has not been 'broken in' (the period of time it takes for the paste to reach max efficiency). My question is as I have not used the PC for 3 years hwoever it has been dust free internally; will I need to replace the thermal paste?

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Thermal paste dries out at high temperatures over a sustained period of time so unless you've wrapped that machine in kitchen foil and stuck it in the oven for three years, it should be fine.

Mitesh

Mitesh

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
Oh really... many thanks. :)Are you sure that it would not have simply dried out jsut lying there doing nothing?

The_Shadow_630

The_Shadow_630

• PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
Thermal paste generally only breaks down under heat, per the previous post, so I would not really worry about it "drying out" just from sitting unused somewhere.

Mitesh

Mitesh

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
Ok thanks alot :) good to know