Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

new here-help advise what gaming pc to get for disabled user

• Please log in to reply

mickG

mickG

• Pip
  • 3 posts
hi
i am new here, please can you help me? i am a carer for a 23 yr old male who has muscular dystrophy, his PC is getting old & we are looking at upgrading to a new pc. his computer is his life, for all contact (msn, skype etc), he LOVES his games, warcraft etc, he has very limited movement & relies on a mouse to operate things, his current pc is xp amd athlon 2200+, 1.79 ghz, 512mb of ram, he has approx £1000 to spend on a new set up, need to play games smooth & clear, run fast etc, i am not really up on these sort of things & i appreciate your input many thanx

Advertisements

Punisher511

Punisher511

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Processor- http://www.newegg.co...3-772-_-Product or http://www.newegg.co...3-809-_-Product depending on how you feel about the prices...
Motherboard- http://www.newegg.co...N82E16813131402 is what I'm planning on getting.
RAM- http://www.newegg.co...N82E16820220436 should be more than enough...I played WoW with less than that but on medium spec so yea...
Graphics Card- http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814150462 is what I'm going to get....

That should get you started....make sure to double check for compatibility before getting anything but those are some of the things I'm going to be getting and I got advice that said they were good. (only difference is I'm getting a higher Phenom processor) Hope it helps...others feel free to criticize I'm always looking to learn more.

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
Hi MickG,

he has approx £1000 to spend on a new set up, need to play games smooth & clear, run fast etc, i am not really up on these sort of things & i appreciate your input many thanx

Will you or he be building the computer? Or do you plan to buy one already built?

Let me know that first and we'll take it from there.

mickG

mickG

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
thanx for your responses. it's appreciated-we will be buying the pc i wouldn't want to risk building it, btw i don't know if it matters but i am from the UK

Edited by mickG, 23 February 2010 - 03:40 AM.

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
Well, I'm not familiar with where to buy in the UK, I heard someone say something about ALDI once? Maybe ask around, see if that rings a bell with anyone you know. It may be an online store, not sure. But I can give you the system specs that I think you would like to see in a computer.

Generally for gaming, the more RAM the better. Also, a dedicated video card is needed for best performance. Don't go with an onboard card. Dedicated Here... Onboard Here. <---click those Look for something from ATI Radeon (AMD) in the upper 4000 series of graphics cards, i.e. 4870 is a good one, or in the upper 5000 series cards, i.e. 5770, 5870. Nvidia look into a 9800GTX+, GTS 250 or better at a GTX 260 all the way through to a 295.

A speedy processor is needed as well. Here is a CPU Hierarchy Chart, the top is the best, bottom is the worst.
The Core "i" series of CPU's seem to be quite revolutionary right now. Very good, that's what I would recommend. Also, quad core cpu's are generally better for gaming than dual core.

I'd recommend something with 4gb of RAM, but the more the better. You want a 7200 RPM or higher SATA hard drive, preferably with 32mb cache. Any computer today should come with a CD/DVD burner (does everything).

I'm also not familiar with what 1000 Pounds can buy you, but this is the basic setup that you would be happy with that I think would probably fit in that price range.

Core i3 or i5 CPU
4gb or higher RAM
SATA Hard Drive (7200RPM or higher)
CD/DVD Burner
Windows 7 Operating System <--supports DirectX 11 (good for gaming)

If you can find me a online store that you'd like to buy a computer from, or the website of a electronics store in your area, I would be more than happy to go there and make some recommendations on what computer would do you good. :)

Keep in touch.

Edited by Ferrari, 23 February 2010 - 06:35 AM.

mickG

mickG

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
thank you i'll follow this up & let you know:-)