Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

disabling virtual memory

• Please log in to reply

S A A B

S A A B

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 486 posts
I have read about disabling your virtual memory. They say you can do it if you have 512MB or more. i have 768 and i am wondering what happens when you turn it off and what the risk is. what does it do and will the pc be faster? and how do you do it?

thanks.

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
disabling virtual memory is dumb

People who advocate this are chasing performance tweaks that yield no results.

Certain programs will use more than 768mb of memory so disabling it will only result in out of memory errors. If windows does not need virtual memory, it will not use it so disabling it is pointless. If you leave it on and you don't use it your wasting a couple hundred mbs of harddrive and with today's multi gb drives, there's no gain.

If you are going to disable virtual memory you need to really know your system and habits to ensure you will not need it, and the gain is just not of much value.

Far better to set defragment your drive, set a semi-permanent swap file and go on your way

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Here, give this a read

http://www.rojakpot....var1=143&var2=0

S A A B

S A A B

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 486 posts
thanks for the reply! :tazz:

Far better to set defragment your drive, set a semi-permanent swap file and go on your way

Does that just mean defragment it once in a while? what is a semi-permanent swap file and how do i set it?

thanks again man.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
read the link..it goes into great detail

S A A B

S A A B

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 486 posts
thanks, i read the link. the link wasn't the most helpfull but the posts after it helped me out.:tazz:

thanks again man