Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Purchasing new ram

• Please log in to reply

Francois31

Francois31

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
hi everyone reading..i really need to purchase new ram 4 a pc a friend gave me..i have 1gb..im trying to find 2 2gb sticks..but the mother is a abit kn8 nd i cant find 184 pin 2gb..does anyone know if any sticks are 184 pin with 2gb..or should i just upgrade the mobo(which is what im thinking abpout doing)

Edited by Francois31, 22 February 2010 - 05:43 PM.

Advertisements

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
You can install up to 4GB of either DDR PC3200 or DDR PC2700 on that board, 1GB in each of the four slots.

http://www.crucial.c....aspx?model=KN8

Each memory slot can hold DDR PC3200,DDR PC2700 with a maximum of 1GB per slot.*

184-pin DIMM Banking: 4 (2 banks of 2)
Chipset: nVidia nForce4
Error Detection Support: Non-ECC only
Graphics Support: PCI Express x16
Max Component Density: 1024
Max Unbuffered DDR SDRAM: 4096MB
Module Types Supported: Unbuffered only
Supported DRAM Types: DDR SDRAM only
USB Support: 2.x Compliant

Although the memory can be installed one module at a time, the best performance comes from using matched pairs of modules.Although the nForce 4 chipset supports 4GB of memory, Windows and the BIOS will usually see 2.75-3GB when 4GB is installed. This is due to limitations in memory addressing by the BIOS.

Q: Will my system recognize the maximum upgrade?

A: Possibly

How much memory your Windows OS will recognize depends on which version of Windows you are running. 32-bit versions of Windows will see (and utilize) only 3GB or 3.5GB. To utilize more memory, install a 64-bit version of your OS. More information about OS memory maximums can be found at http://www.crucial.c...r.aspx?qid=4251.

Q: What memory goes into my computer, and will a faster speed be backward-compatible?

A: DDR memory with support for DDR PC3200,DDR PC2700 speeds.

Because DDR memory is backward-compatible, you can safely upgrade your system with any of the guaranteed-compatible DDR speeds listed below, even if your manual calls for PC1600 or PC2100 speeds.

Q: How much memory can my computer handle?

A: 4096MB.

Adding the maximum amount of memory will improve performance and help extend the useful life of your system as you run increasingly demanding software applications in the future.

Q: Do I have to install matching pairs?

A: No.

No, you can install modules one at a time, and you can mix different densities of modules in your computer. But if your computer supports dual-channel memory configurations, you should install in identical pairs (preferably in kits) for optimal performance.

Q: Does my computer support dual-channel memory?

A: Yes.

To benefit from the performance advantages offered by dual-channel systems, you should install memory in identical pairs. Installing a kitted pair is the best way to ensure that your modules are identical, right down to the chip count.

Q: Does my computer support ECC memory?

A: Yes.

Your system supports ECC. You can put non-ECC modules into an ECC system, but be sure not to mix ECC and non-ECC modules within a system. Install the same type of modules that are already in your system.

Edited by SpywareDr, 23 February 2010 - 05:16 AM.