Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problems with TrayApp

• Please log in to reply

purple21

purple21

• PipPip
  • 47 posts
Ok. I've read what other users on this site have said about TrayApp and I definitely have the same problem! I tried the suggestions given to get rid of it. NOTHING worked!! :) Can you please help?!! :)
Over a year ago, our computer had viruses and I had a friend help me and he did a system recovery. So I had to re-install my HP printer and HP scanner. Both worked fine, and I had no problems with TrayApp. Then a few months ago, my computer gave troubles again, and I ran a system recovery again. Once again, I re-installed my HP printer. Immediately, I got TrayApp. The problem has to be with the printer, because I didn't re-install the scanner until later. My printer was given to me, so I don't have the CD that came with it. I followed the advice I found on this site: I downloaded the driver I needed, uninstalled my current driver, then installed the new one. It did NOT work. I tried again, and noticed that even when I uninstalled the current driver, all the files were still there, so I manually deleted them, and tried again. Still didn't work. What is wrong? Can you please help me? Thanks. :)

Advertisements

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
What is the problem you are having with HP's "TrayApp"?

What is the model# of your HP printer?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

Over a year ago, our computer had viruses and I had a friend help me and he did a system recovery.

A system recovery will not rid your system of a infection. Depending on the infection even a format and install may not get rid of it. Are you 100# sure you are clean?
Tray app is usually caused by old drivers. Have you check manufacturer site for a driver removal tool?
If nothing you might try Driver sweeper and see what it finds as far as left over parts of the printer driver.

purple21

purple21

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
My friend did the system recovery because our computer was so bad that he couldn't even turn it on! Then he installed AVG and Ad-Aware to clean it up.
Right now, I'm probably 95% sure I'm clean. I've just run two virus scans today.
No, I didn't check the HP site for a driver removal tool. I'll try that. And where can I get the DRIVER SWEEPER tool if that doesn't work?
Thanks. :)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
http://downloads.gur...5.html#download

purple21

purple21

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
I checked the HP site for driver removal, and it looked like all they had was what I already have--just basic HP software uninstall. I clicked on the link you posted and downloaded the driver sweeper. However, its current supported drivers are for a mouse, sounds, etc.--not printers. Am I just not understanding something? I'm not really great with computers. Thanks.
The HP site did suggest removing HP software AND deleting the printer, so I'll try that too and see if it works.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
That is always the final step if software does not clean it up. It may be in your case the fastest way of clearing it up.

purple21

purple21

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
Well, I tried deleting the printer and uninstalling the software. It didn't work, either. Maybe I'm missing something, or maybe something is just wrong with this computer. It was given to us used, and I think it had some issues when we got it.
But lately, something really weird had been happening, and I don't know if it has anything to do with TrayApp or not. I shut the computer down one day but didn't cut the power off as I usually do. We left the house and when we came back, we found the computer had turned itself on! It started rapidly restarting itself over and over, like crazy!! Usually the computer won't boot up fully; just restart itself, over and over. If it finally boots up completely, sometimes TrayApp even acts different--doing different things when we cancel it 40 times! Sometimes, the computer will never fully boot up and I just have to cut the power off and try again later. Sometimes I can be doing something on the computer when it starts restarting itself. What is going on?! It's driving me crazy!!! :)
Thanks.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Go to
Start and then to Run
Type in Chkdsk /r Note the space between k and /
Click Enter ...It will probably ask if you want to do this on the next reboot...click Y
If the window doesn't shutdown on its own then reboot the system manually. On reboot the system will start the chkdsk operation
This one will take longer then chkdsk /f

Note... there are 5 stages...
It may appear to hang at a certain percent for a hour or more or even back up and go over the same area...this is normal...
DO NOT SHUT YOUR COMPUTER DOWN WHILE CHKDSK IS RUNNING OR YOU CAN HAVE SEVERE PROBLEMS
This can take several hours to complete.
When completed it will boot the system back into windows.

Let me know if this fixes the problem

purple21

purple21

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
I have a concern. Sometimes the computer will let itself stay on all night long, but sometimes only a short time. I'm concerned that it may shut itself down during this process. I've been asking friends about this problem. One who works with computers suggested the power button on the front of the computer could be worn out or not working right. IF that were the case, it could cause it to shut down any time.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
TrayApp is a windows based issue. Chkdsk /r does not use windows to run but basically a dos based programming.
The system would reboot and before loading windows then chkdsk /r runs. After it is done it will reboot the system and start windows.
If the system restarts during this test then you are looking at either
PSU
Motherboard
Memory
CPU
Hard drive

purple21

purple21

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
No, Chkdsk /r DID NOT get rid of TrayApp! :) And the computer did not restart itself or act weird like it had been doing. My dad decided to look at the faulty power button idea, and the inside of the computer was very, very dusty, so he cleaned it all out, including the power button. So far, it hasn't restarted itself or done anything crazy, but I don't know if that had anything to do with the problem or not
One thing I should mention, the "drivers" folder located on the C drive is empty of files all except for one file called PHOTOS, Configuration Settings. This is AFTER I have uninstalled the drivers, then re-installed them. And . . . even though this drivers folder is empty of all other files, my printer is still working normally!! How could that be? Is there another folder with driver files I may not know about?!!!
:) :) :)

kimsland

kimsland

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
To Remove TrayApp HP Photosmart Digital Imaging software

Further option(1) using your Printer CD
Place your HP Printer Setup CD in your CD Drive
Close any Autorun that may popup
Open My Computer
Right Click on your CD Drive and select Search
Type in trayapp.msi and hit OK (Note: it is likely in: \Setup\trayapp\trayapp.msi)
Double click to run/install trayapp.msi
Restart

Further option(2) using your Printer CD
Place your HP Printer Setup CD in your CD Drive
Choose to Repair (not Uninstall or Install) your Printer software
Restart

If You Don't Have The Printer Setup CD
Uninstall all HP Printer Software as shown in Add/Remove Programs in Control Panel
Download and run the Windows Installer CleanUp Utility
Remove any entries to HP Printer software
>> A further step if you want to try as well > Printer Driver Deleter
Go to HP and re-download your printer software HERE (printer must be on and plugged in)
Install, and Restart

If TrayApp is still there on startup! (although impossible)
Download Startup Control Panel (as I don't like MSConfig left in Diagnostic Mode)
Run it, and check all tabs (there are 6 tabs, not including "About")
Look for anything that starts up TrayApp and remove the tick (this may be all HP entries)
Close Startup Control Panel
Restart

Did it work? :)

purple21

purple21

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
Kimsland, when you say to remove all HP printer software (I have to use the 3rd option you suggested; this printer was given to me with no CD), would that include the HP photo and imaging program? I would like to keep that if I could; I like it as a basic back-up photo program. Thanks.

kimsland

kimsland

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
Yes

You will need to re-download the most up to date version from HP again, later on :)

The reason why, is because it likely carries the drivers as well

Edited by kimsland, 10 March 2010 - 10:10 AM.