Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Laptop Keyboard and Touchpad Problems-HELP!

• Please log in to reply

H2916

H2916

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi,
I bought my Acer laptop (aspire 5610z) used a couple months back. It's always been a good laptop, except that the mouse pad keys were "loose" and wobbly. A couple days ago, I decded to fix both keys. I took the screen, top cover/palm rest, and keyboard out. Nothing too major. I succeeded in fixing the keys,and they both work like new. (a plastic piece broke off each of them so I superglued them back together.) I put everything back together, powered it on, and realized that the touchpad didn't work. Like anyone would do, I took it back apart, and realized that the ribbon cable running from the touchpad to the motherboard was out of its housing, so I plugged it back in. It still wouldnt work, so I stopped for the night. The next day, I was tinkering with it, and somehow the keyboard stopped working too. I get mad at this point. Its not like I broke anything all the times I opened the laptop up. Frustrated, I stopped for the day. Sunday night, I try to fix it again, and to my suprise and luck, the keyboard and touchpad worked again. I was happy, and started using the laptop. I didn't use for more than 20min, when guess what, the keyboard, touchpad, and the volume/play buttons on the side all stopped working, again. (I unplugged that volume/play ribbon cable, also.)The keyboard will work in screens like where it says "windows error recovery, start in safe mode, command prompt, normal." It just won't work in regular windows.

Right around the time of these problems, I got a message from Window Defender saying I had 2 medium security threats on my laptop, and so I removed them. I don't really think that this has anything to do with it, though. Now here I am asking for help. I just hope it isn't a motherboard issue. I already tried the fn+f7 touchpad enabler, system restore, taking battery out, etc. Can anyone help me with this? Sorry for the long story. I DON'T want to take it to geeksquad, etc, I really don't want to spend any money. Thank you for any of your help!

Advertisements

Mitesh

Mitesh

• PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
Possibly re-install windows. I know that is extreme but it will help determine if this is a software related issue or not. You say that you have checked the physical connectors and by the inconsitent nature of the keyboard etc working then not working, it could be a software issue. I would first examine the cables make sure they are secure and correctly fitted as well as being clean. Next check you BIOS settings.

However based on this: The keyboard will work in screens like where it says "windows error recovery, start in safe mode, command prompt, normal." It just won't work in regular windows.'' really does sound like it is software related.

This is assuming you created a restoration disk.....
If you do not want to re-install then backup your vital data for a start just in case. I assume you have anti-virus and anti-spyware installed. If you are receiving detections then head on over to the spybot search and destroy forum. They can help you get rid of malicios programs that may be causing these issues.