Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Transfering Profile Data from One User to Another?

• Please log in to reply

NikkuKaze

NikkuKaze

• PipPip
  • 64 posts
Alright, I've had a virus attack of sorts which has rendered my primary profile useless (and, it was useless to start on some points, but that aside). The virus is gone and taken care of, I just need to know a method to transfer the Desktop, Documents, and App Data (as well as Outlook settings) from the original profile to a new one.

What process should I follow or what folders should I copy?

Edited by NikkuKaze, 22 February 2010 - 11:45 PM.

Advertisements

Mark D

Mark D

• PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
Howszit NikkuKaze?

If your profile was not password protected and it was not set to make your folders "Private", just open your Windows Explorer, and navigate to C:\Documents and Settings. In this folder will be all the different profiles on your system. Administrator is the system profile that only appears in Safe Mode, so your data shouldn't be in there, (although some XP Pro systems setup in the Admin profile because it starts there).

Open the old profile name and you should be able to see your "My Documents" and "Desktop" folders easily enough. The Outlook data file is a bit harder to find because it is in a hidden folder. You can either set your folder view to show hidden folders, or search your hard drive for *.pst files and have the search include hidden & system folders. I don't think the PST file will have all your outlook settings, (you need to set up the email account settings by manually inputing user name & password, mail servers, etc), but all your data, contacts and calendar events will be intact. You didn't mention what Outlook you're using but you can either Import the PST file or Open it inside of Outlook. (If you open the PST you will have two different sets of mailboxes, etc).

If your profile was password protected with files set to be private let me know.

Hope this helps...

NikkuKaze

NikkuKaze

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
So it is as simple as copying the folders from the old profile to the new?

What about "Application Data" (ah, I always have hidden folders on, :3), will that transfer just as easily?

Mark D

Mark D

• PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
Your App data will depend on the App. Some are in the hidden "Local Settings" folder, (like your Outlook), and some may be in the other hidden "Application Folder". (Don't get confused cuz the Local Setting also has an Application Folder in it as well). For example, Address Book, (WAB), files are found the 1st Application Folder in the Microsoft folder. Some may even be in the Program File folder. It depends on the App. You may want to use your search feature for the data files from your App, (*.DOC, or whatever to find where they're stored.

Hope this helps..