Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Network printer will not work

• Please log in to reply

mattnanokid

mattnanokid

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
I have recently configured my home network. Networking is flawless, and Internet is great, but when I try to share a network printer with my windows 7 and windows xp computer, it won't work. One computer is 64 bit and the other is 32 bit. Is there a way to fix this problem?

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
which computer is the printer connected to directly? 64 or 32? does the printer have a network port on it or is it just USB?

to share between 64 bit and 32 bit you have to have both drivers installed (64bit and 32bit)...you can check the manufacturer's website for the missing driver. then you would go into the sharing page on the printer and add the other drivers under the "other drivers" menu

mattnanokid

mattnanokid

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
The printer is connected to the 64 bit windows 7 computer. It is connected through usb.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
well that's going to be problematic for me as i've not installed printers on 7 yet... basically in the printer property page, usually on the tab where you enable sharing there's a button for alternate drivers. you would need to download the 32 bit xp compliant drivers from the manufacturer and install them on the 64 bit system, then point that alternate drivers wizard to where those drivers were uncompressed. then you'd be able to use the printer on XP.

another possible method would be to download the 32 bit XP drivers on the XP machine, then use the add printer wizard to add a local printer but point it at the shared printer on the 7 machine

a REALLY quick solution would be to buy a USB print server (basically a network card for a USB printer) then install the printer directly on the network. then install it on the 7 machine and the xp machine directly with their respective drivers

mattnanokid

mattnanokid

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
well, I downloaded the driver from HP's website, but it is just an installation package where you have to connect the printer to the computer. Is it possible to connect the printer to the XP computer, and then disconnect it and connect it back to the 7 computer?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
what's the model number on the printer?

mattnanokid

mattnanokid

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts