Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

"Network Card Disconnected" Issue...again

• Please log in to reply

mehugtree

mehugtree

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hey there. i know this topic has been covered in other threads...but none seemed quite to fit. Here's my story.

Had a network set up at home with comcast cable going into a motorola modem going into a D-Link(I think) wireless router. One machine (win 98) was hard-wired to modem, laptop(win xp) connected wirelessly. Worked fine for many months, then there was a big storm.

Since then:
1) when connected through router:
a)win98 machine displays"Network Cable Disconnected" message, even though,of course, the cable is connected.
b)laptop not picking up wireless connection

2) when connected directly to modem:
a)win98 machine displays"Network Cable Disconnected" message, even though,of course, the cable is connected.
b)laptop is able to connect to internet (yeah!)
c)ALTERNATE win98 machine, which has not been connected to anything for many months, behaves the same way as other win98 machine, with "cable disconnected message"

cycled modem and rebooted everytime, etc.

suggestions?

thanks!!

Advertisements

miles_obrien

miles_obrien

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
Either the network cable is defective or the wired lan ports on your router are dead.
Get another router.
Mike

mehugtree

mehugtree

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
dead router,eh? [bleep]. not another one. everytime there is a storm, my router goes. two ?'s

1) am now connected directly through modem on laptop, works fine. trying to go wirelessly through router doesn't work. connect fine to 'network', but can't connect to internet.

2)desktops, when connected directly to modem still don't work. get cable disconnected notice. all using the same cable using right now.

thanks!

-ted

miles_obrien

miles_obrien

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
Hi,
Hmmm, can you scrounge a network card to try in a desktop machine?
And a Good, resettable power surge bar sounds like an investment I would make.
Mike

mehugtree

mehugtree

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Mike,

I'll try to scrounge a network card.

As far as power goes, they are both on seperate power sources. But now that I think on it, maybe the modem is on a power source that sucks...hmmm. Was on help-chat with Comcast for a while last night, but not much in the way of a resolution. Going to swap out modem's tonight and see if that helps at all.

thanks for your help!

-Ted