Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cursor jumping in Outlook 2007

• Please log in to reply

The_Shadow_630

The_Shadow_630

• PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
I have a user who just recently got a new laptop with Windows 7 32-bit installed and Office 2007. She says that when typing in Outlook, the cursor will jump randomly to another point in the e-mail she is typing wihtout warning or aparent reason. It seems to be quite random and sporadic, which makes it nigh impossible to repliate and troubleshoot. I already explored the possiblity of her touching the touchpad while typing, and she started being very careful not to touch it and the cursor still jumps. This happens whether using the bluetooth mouse he has or just using the intergrated touchpad. Any ideas as to a potential cause/fix to this problem?

Advertisements

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
To me, seems like a faulty touchpad. That issue sounds exactly like when someone accidentally is touching the pad while typing (I used to do that all the time), but since you said she has been careful not to do that... it leads me to believe the touch pad is faulty. Some sort of short with the pad, I presume.

One way to test is to unplug the touchpad from within the laptop (maybe disable in the device manager?) and see if the problem persists... Trial and Error.

EDIT: A dirty touchpad can cause this too...

Edited by Ferrari, 23 February 2010 - 06:17 PM.

The_Shadow_630

The_Shadow_630

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
I did take that into consideration after reading some other forums in other places. I am less likely to open the laptop to physically unplug the touchpad on a brand new unit. If that is the case, then we will have Dell do it under warranty. However, one of the fixes I saw was to uninstall the touchpad in the device manager and then restart the computer so that windows installs its default drivers for it rather than the brand specific drivers, so I will try that and report back after.

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
Sounds like a plan. Let us know. :)