Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Macbook Pro unable to video-out (SOLVED)

• Please log in to reply

Matthew C. Miller

Matthew C. Miller

• PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
Hello. I have a Macbook Pro that I'm trying to connect to a TV. I know the adapter, TV, component video, and svideo cables are working because I've tested with an older Macbook (black case) and it works fine. With the Macbook Pro (white case), I just get the flash of blue screen when I connect the mini-dvi adapter (showing the external display has been detected), but no display appears in the Displays menu (or in Displays preference pane).

I've even swapped out various other components, trying:
1. two different component video cables
2. two different svideo cables
3. two different mini-dvi to video adapters
4. two different Macbook Pro laptops.

Excepting the laptop itself, they all work fine with the Macbook, but not the Macbook Pros. Does anyone know of any tricks or tips that might assist? I would greatly appreciate any pointers.

Thanks in advance!
-Matthew

Edited by Matthew C. Miller, 23 February 2010 - 01:12 PM.

Advertisements

Matthew C. Miller

Matthew C. Miller

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
Turns out that the newer Macbook Pros (starting late 2008, if what I found is correct) no longer support analog video out, they only provide digital video out. So, something along the lines of a VGA to Video/S-video converter box is required. I searched on Amazon for "vga to video converter" and found several boxes for $32. After hooking one of those between the Macbook Pro and the TV, everything is working fine.

-Matthew