Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Checkdisk removed my files!

• Please log in to reply

jjuurree

jjuurree

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I couldn't open folder with lots of downloaded stuff in it. The files in folder where .avi, .mpeg, .jpg, winrar, etc...

I restarted PC and WinXP automatically did Checkdisk and removed all the files from that folder.

From the free space on disk D: I can see that those files are still somewhere on it.

When I tried Disk Cleanup for D:, I got option to delete "Old Chkdsk files" from "disk drive's root folder".

I didn't, of course, cos those are the missing files. But I don't know how to get to them! I tried search for hidden & system files with no success.

Please, help!

PS: My IT knowledge is rather limited.

Advertisements

jjuurree

jjuurree

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I found missing files when I unchecked "Hide protected operating system files (Recommended)" in Folder Options - View.

They're located in D:\FOUND.001 (that was invisible before). They're all turned into .CHK (Type: Recovered File Fragments) and there's a whole bunch of them.

I'll try to recover them with "UNCHK3" program.

If it doesn't work, since - D:\FOUND.001 - is rather big folder can I delete it or its contents?
Its contents are: FILE0000.CHK, FILE0001.CHK,... to FILE0092.CHK.

These are "protected operating system files" so I'm not sure if it's safe to delete.

Thanks.

Spyderturbo007

Spyderturbo007

• PipPipPip
  • 760 posts
Did you try using FileCHK to recover the files? Download and extract the program, then dump the file into the Found.001 folder and run the program. It should automatically read the header and adjust the file extension to the correct type.

Yes, they can be deleted without harm.

Edited by Spyderturbo007, 24 February 2010 - 07:46 AM.

jjuurree

jjuurree

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks a lot.

jjuurree

jjuurree

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I did it.

First I tried 'Unchk3', but either I didn't know how to use it properly, or something else,
but 'Unchk3' went on for about an hour and after it finished, in folder designated for new renamed files was nothing!

Than I tried 'FileCHK' and it took less than 10 seconds (for over 3GB of data!) and managed to rename (recover) about 80% of files: Pics, videos, Rar... Good enough.

After that I did: start–>run–>cmd–> chkntfs /x c: d: which is supposed to cancel automatic Checkdisk at trouble restart. Is that a safe thing to do?

Spyderturbo007

Spyderturbo007

• PipPipPip
  • 760 posts

Than I tried 'FileCHK' and it took less than 10 seconds (for over 3GB of data!) and managed to rename (recover) about 80% of files: Pics, videos, Rar... Good enough.

Excellent. Glad I could help.

After that I did: start–>run–>cmd–> chkntfs /x c: d: which is supposed to cancel automatic Checkdisk at trouble restart. Is that a safe thing to do?

No clue. :) I'm sure someone else will stop by and will be able to answer your question.