Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

USB 2.0 HI SPEED & WAM Miniport not working

• Please log in to reply

lfshadow

lfshadow

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
When I plug in a hi speed device such as my Canon MX700 Printer or a Maxtor exterior back up drive, I get a pop up telling me “This device can perform faster with a HI-SPEED USB driver”. When I go to Device Manager it shows 2 Universal Serial Bus controllers:

Universal Serial Bus controllers
Generic USB Hub
USB standard OpenHCD USB Host controller
USB Composite Device
USB Mass Storage Device
USB Printing Support
USBPrinting Support
USB Root Hub

Universal Serial Bus controllers
PCI Class USB 2.0 Enhanced Host Controller
USB 2.0 Root Hub Device

(all are “working properly”)

The "PCI Class USB 2.0 Enhanced Host Controller" is the HI-SPEED, correct? Why isn’t the device using the Hi Speed controller?

Also in Device Driver under:
WAN Miniport (IPX) #2
Properties:
“This device is not working properly because Windows cannot load the drivers required for this device. (Code 31)”

Are these problems related? How do I fix them?

I have a AMD Athlon 64 Processor 35
running Windows XP SP2
I'm not exceptionally computer literate :)

Advertisements

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
Welcome to Geeks To Go!

Your computer has USB ports some of which are standard (slow) USB1 ports built on to the motherboard, and some which are enhanced (high speed)USB2 ones on a separate PCI card which a previous owner has fitted.

In essence, you've got both types of USB ports in separate places on your computer.

You are receiving the message "This device can perform faster....." because you have it plugged in to one of the standard (slow) USB1 ports instead of into one of the enhanced USB2 ones.

Edited by phillipcorcoran, 23 February 2010 - 03:46 PM.

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
Hi ifshadow,

Can you supply me with the make and model of your computer? That will help me help you.

In my experience, USB 1.0 can easily be upgraded to 2.0 via drivers... when installing XP on machines with SP2 I always get this message, however after installing SP3 it goes away. You should really keep your computer up to date anyway so it won't hurt to try. Go to Start > All Programs > Click Windows Update... follow the instructions for express install, and do whatever is needed to install them.

I can help you find the driver for the Wan Port if you give me the make and model of the computer.

Let me know how it goes.

lfshadow

lfshadow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
I went to dbl check to see if I have SP3. I supposedly do have it, but when I did a search for it I got:
"Service Pack 3, C:\Windows\Security\Database, 1032 KB, Appfix Package" I dbl clicked it and got message:
"Windows cannot open this file: Service Pack 3.sbd" I couldn't find out what opens .sbd. This doesn't sound right, does it?

My Computer was built by a friend in 2005: Sys Make: MSI, model MS-7260
American Megatrends Inc.
snc 302eeh K9N Neo-F Ver.1.3 060206 A M I - 6000602 20060602
Processor- AMD Athlon 64 3500+

You stated, "USB 1.0 can easily be upgraded to 2.0 via drivers... "
I don't think I need to upgrade the USB 1.0 to 2.0. I already have it, the devices are just not acknowledging it. Do I just have it plugged into the wrong port?
"Universal Serial Bus controllers
PCI Class USB 2.0 Enhanced Host Controller
USB 2.0 Root Hub Device"

you stated, "You are receiving the message "This device can perform faster....." because you have it plugged in to one of the standard (slow) USB1 ports instead of into one of the enhanced USB2 ones"
So where are the enhanced USB2 ports located?

Hey guys, Thanks for helping out a old woman with little computer smarts. :)

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
Yes, it should have USB 2.0 if built in 2005.

Try this, update the drivers for USB Controllers and USB Root Hub. Perform
these instructions for each USB device I have circled in the 1st image. You
will have several of them, one for each USB port... do it for all of them.

How to update drivers in the Device Manager:
  • Click Start
  • Right Click My Computer
  • Select Properties
  • Bring hardware tab forward (should be by default)
  • Click Device Manager
  • Right Click USB Host Controllers and USB Root Hub
  • Select Update Driver
  • Follow the onscreen instructions (see images below)
Did it find any updated drivers? Did this solve your problem?

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I can help you find the driver for the Wan Port if you give me the make and model of the computer.

Also, while you are in the device manager, do you see in yellow exclamation points/question marks or red X's? Please let me know.

lfshadow

lfshadow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Great! I got an update for the 2.0!!! Thanks, I should have thought of that!

About the Wan Miniport - it has an exclaimation point ! next to it.
As far as what kind of computer I have, I've given you all the info I know to give:
What other info do you need?
My Computer was built by a friend in 2005: Sys Make: MSI, model MS-7260
American Megatrends Inc.
snc 302eeh K9N Neo-F Ver.1.3 060206 A M I - 6000602 20060602
Processor- AMD Athlon 64 3500+

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts

Great! I got an update for the 2.0!!! Thanks, I should have thought of that!

Awesome! Welcome to the 21st Century :)

From a little research, it seems a WAN Minport is a IEEE 1394 Port (aka Firewire). This is probably something you never use, but if you'd like to get it going try right clicking and updating it just like you did with the USB Ports... see if that works 1st.

If that doesn't work, download Unknown Devices 1.4.20
  • Click One Of These Posted Image
  • Download Will Begin
  • Select "Open with Windows Explorer"
  • Click Open/OK
  • Click Extract All Files
  • Click Extract/OK
  • Double Click Posted Image
  • Then post all the information shown (See Image 1 Below)
IMAGE 1
Posted Image

I need this information to help me find the driver for that device... your motherboard doesn't have an I/O for a Wan Miniport according to MSI's website, so it must be a separate card attached to the motherboard. Not sure.

Let me know. :)

Edited by Ferrari, 24 February 2010 - 03:53 PM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

I need this information to help me find the driver for that device... your motherboard doesn't have an I/O for a Wan Miniport according to MSI's website, so it must be a separate card attached to the motherboard. Not sure.

it's probably not an actual port...at some point some propeller head came up with the notion of using firewire for local area networking...of course that so far hasn't panned out but they keep putting that silly firewire driver in there in the hopes that it'll catch on. if you look in your network connections you'll actually see a 1394 connection sitting there unused. you can feel free to disable that

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts

it's probably not an actual port...at some point some propeller head came up with the notion of using firewire for local area networking

Then I'd recommend what dsenette says, just disable it, and/or don't worry about it.

if you look in your network connections you'll actually see a 1394 connection sitting there unused.

I think I do remember seeing this on older computers now that you mention it. Thanks for the heads up... I'm still pretty rough around the edges on some things. :)

lfshadow

lfshadow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Thanks for the help. I have what I need now.
I did try right clicking the WAN Miniport, no update. But if it's Firewire that makes sense because I disabled it a long time ago. I just didn't know what it was and couldn't find much info on it.

Thanks again :)

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
You're Welcome :)