Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

missing or corrupt hal.dll error

• Please log in to reply

jaysbanshee

jaysbanshee

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Trying to fix my brothers computer because of the missing or corrupt hal.dll error. I can boot to an XP install cd, but as soon as I choose to install windows or to do a repair, it says that it cannot find the hard drive. I installed a second hard drive with the XP OS and connected the bad drive. In my computer, it shows both hard drives and I can access most of the files on the bad drive. I can get into all of the user profiles, except my brothers. I copied the hal.dll and ntoskrnl.exe from the good drive to the bad drive and now I get windows/system32/config/system is missing or corrupt. I looked at that file on the bad drive and it shows 0 bytes. Any ideas to fix the bad drive?

Thanks
Jay

Advertisements

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
Welcome to Geeks To Go!

The hard drive may be failing or failed, but to confirm this you need to test it with the drive maker's own diagnostic tool available free from their website.

jaysbanshee

jaysbanshee

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Ran a Long pass using seagates seatools for windows, and it said that the drive passed.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
I am not sure I understood the sequence of events but I understand from your first post that you are willing to reinstall or repair windows.

Your best option, in my opinion, is to backup the data and then format the affected hard disk while still connected to the working computer. Now move the formatted disk back to the non-working computer and run new windows install.