Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

BOOTMGR is compressed

• Please log in to reply

graisbeck

graisbeck

• PipPip
  • 34 posts
My nephew has a Acer Aspire 5315 laptop running Vista Home (either basic or premium).

Everytime I try to boot it, the message BOOTMGR is compressed shows. I've tried to bring up the safe mode options but all I get is the same message about the BOOTMGR being compressed.
I can get into the BIOS screen and I've tried to change the "boot from" order but the CD-rom drive is not listed, the only thing which is close to it is USB-CDROM, and I have also tried to boot from recovery disk but that didnt work either.

Any ideas please?

Advertisements

Deon

Deon

• PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
Hi graisbeck,

Do you remember compressing your hard drive?

Do you have a Vista DVD? If so, the situation is easily fixed:

• Boot from the Vista DVD.
  • Click 'Repair my Computer'
  • At the prompt to select your OS installation, click the button that says 'Load Drivers'. This should bring up a explorer-style drive browser.
  • Then just right-click on the drive you tried to compress, and deselect 'Compress this Drive', which should still be ticked on. Hit apply, and apply to subfolders/files.
  • Reboot.

Let me know how it goes for you :)

Cheers,
Deon :)

graisbeck

graisbeck

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

I can get into the BIOS screen and I've tried to change the "boot from" order but the CD-rom drive is not listed, the only thing which is close to it is USB-CDROM, and I have also tried to boot from recovery disk but that didnt work either.

I didn't compress the drive but it did have malware problems and I reinstalled vista after deleting the files found by Malwarebytes. When the laptop was rebooted that's when the error message started to show.

Deon

Deon

• PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
Okay, have you tried the method I included above?

Most people report this to work with this problem.

Remember, you don't actually have to complete a Repair install, just use the disc to get to that 'Load Drivers' area.

Deon :)

graisbeck

graisbeck

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
Deon, thanks for your help.

I have tried booting from Vista DVD and also from a recovery disk but neither worked. As I mentioned previously the dvd/cd drive is not even showing in the bios or boot menu. I can hear the disk spinning in the drive but all that happens is that the BOOTMGR is compressed message comes up.