Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New memory

• Please log in to reply

tgordonjr

tgordonjr

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I wanted to speed up the pc a little bit, so I ordered 2 512mb of which I thought were pc2100. Got them today and it turns out that they are pc2700 333MHz. Will these work in the computer since the memory type it is supposed to use is pc2100 266MHz, or will it slow down the system rather than speed it up? I cannot change the setting in BIOS either. Its a Dell.

Advertisements

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
PC2700 will be backwards compatible with PC2100 specification... they will just run at the 2100 speed. It should work just fine. I've done this many times with used Dell's I configure and sell.

As long as you are sure the PC requires PC2100, the 2700 will work. If you'd like, you can give me the make and model of your Dell, and I can confirm if you are unsure.

Also, as a side note: Dells can be a little funny about memory sometimes, if for some reason it didn't work, it doesn't have to do with the speed you bought, but more that certain brand/type of memory just isn't compatible. Good Luck, let me know if you have any questions. :)

tgordonjr

tgordonjr

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I am positive that the memory speed for this computer is 2100. I installed both of the pc2700 sticks and everything seems to run fine, actually a little disappointed I dont see much of a difference in its performance. It almost seems like its slower.

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts

It almost seems like its slower.

Probably because you are paying more attention.

I'm assuming you upgraded from a total of 512mb to 1gb (2 x 512). You won't necessarily notice a speed increase per se', but where it will help out the most is when you have more than a couple programs opened at once, or multiple tabs open in a browser. Think of it like this...

512mb Total Ram = OS, background services, web browser (2 tabs open), and email client... anything opened after that will have to use "virtual memory" which is a small space on the hard drive designated to act as RAM (Random Access Memory) when your physical 512mb runs out... this process is much slower and this is when you start seeing the hour glass thinking and thinking and programs "not responding".

With 1gb of RAM... you can... OS, background services, web browser (2 tabs open), email client, and 2-3 more programs and/or many more tabs open at once in your browser. The general rule is, the more RAM the better.

Edited by Ferrari, 23 February 2010 - 05:34 PM.

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
Also, take a look in my signature at "Maintaining Your Machine" It gives tips on what to do to help increase the speed of your computer. It's worth a look.

tgordonjr

tgordonjr

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks for the help.

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
Thanks for saying thanks! :) Good luck with everything.