Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows boot cd failure

• Please log in to reply

ipoder2

ipoder2

• PipPip
  • 60 posts
Hello, me again, this time, I'm having laptop troubles. My friend was using my computer and clicked on those popup adds that are fake antivirus programs which actually give you viruses. He was dumb obviously and believed it and I got infected with tons of viruses, so badly that I had under 5 minutes on my computer from the time I turned it on, until I would get a BSOD. I put in my windows xp boot disk to just reinstall windows because it was needed anyways. I put in the disk and kept getting a BSOD. I decided to put in my knoppix cd and installed that to my harddrive, which erased windows, which got rid of the viruses. I tried installing windows again, and a few minutes after the installing starts, I get a BSOD, what should I do?
The laptop is a Dell inspiron.
Thanks,
Jason

Advertisements

Deon

Deon

• PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
Hi ipoder2.

In the first instance, your friend should have already had anti-virus on his computer.

If he didn't, and you later discovered that their was a virus, the best thing to do is follow the GeeksToGo [url="http://="http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/Malware-Spyware-Cleaning-Guide-t2852.html"]Malware and Spyware Cleaning Guide[/url] or post in the Virus, Spyware and Trojan Removal forum... well maybe next time eh :)

Anyway, you'll want to start with the BSOD "STOP" codes.
To easily debug a BSOD we need the STOP code that will start with 0x, and be seen around 1/4 to 1/3 of the way down from the top of the screen on the left side...

The easiest way is to simply read the screen... However, sometimes BSODs trigger automatic restarts, and you'll be in an endless loop of BSODs, so you'll need to turn that off.

1. As the system is booting press F8 (to get the boot options, like safe mode)
2. Select something like safe mode using the arrow keys then press enter
3. After you press enter, quickly press F8 again...
4. Arrow down to the option "disable restart on system failure"...
5. Hit enter and then take note of the stop code...

Edited by Deon, 23 February 2010 - 08:08 PM.

ipoder2

ipoder2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
stop: 0x0000007E (0xc0000005,0xf748e0bf,0xf78da208,0xf78d9f08)

Deon

Deon

• PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
Hi ipoder2,

I've researched some possible reasons for that particular STOP code.

Can you confirm if that particular CD is a genuine disc? Was it purchased from a store?
The problem could lie in the media or the drive.

Another reason I found was the disc should continue SP2 on it.
Is this a very early XP release? Possibly XP only, or XP with SP1?

Windows XP is now up to Service Pack 3 (SP3) and it is important to keep the computer updated to the latest possible Service Pack.

So just to recap:

- Is it a genuine disc? (eg: not downloaded/bought at market/etc)
- Does it have Service Pack 2 included? (It will indicate on the disc).

Cheers,
Deon :)

ipoder2

ipoder2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
It isn't genuine, my grandfather gave it to me a while back, it's a copy of xp when it first came out, I do have a cd with sp1 and 2 on them though.

ipoder2

ipoder2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
I have used this disk on 2 other computers, so it shouldn't be the disk.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
We will not help you further unless you get hold of genuine install media. If and when you do, you are most welcome to PM a moderator or admin (or myself), and we will re-open this topic to continue.

Read the Terms of Use again, to which you agreed when you signed up.

Troy

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
OP reports acquiring genuine media, re-opening topic.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,526 posts
There should be no reason why someone can not start with a XP sp1 CD.
They would then do all the upgrades to get to SP3.

ipoder2
You might have a ram/memory failure or a hard drive failure.
Lets check out the memory and then the hard drive.
Both procedures will run from the CD.

Let's check your memory and make sure there is no issue with it. Download memtest86 from the link below.

Get the file that is named Download - The one you want is "Download - Pre-compiled Bootable ISO (.zip). When it downloads, it will be labeled memtest86+2.11.iso.zip
Unzip the file once you download it. You should have a .iso file in the unzipped directory. It will look like a zip file in some cases but the file name will now be memtest86+2.11.iso

if you don't have a burning program that will burn .ISO files get burncdcc in my signature below.

NOTE...do not put a blank cd in until burncdcc opens the tray for you
1. Start BurnCDCC
2. Browse to the ISO file you want to burn on cd/dvd ....in this case its memtest86.iso
3. Select the ISO file
4. click on Start
Make sure the bios is set for the cd drive as the first boot device
Put the cd in the cd drive and then boot your computer.

Running the Diagnostic Program:

The basic diagnostic screen has five main sections of relevant information. Three at the top which are labeled, PASS %, TEST %, and TEST #. This will basically show you the total progress of the current test, the overall progress of the diagnostic test, and the test number is currently performing.

On the middle left hand side of the of the program interface there is a “Wall Time” section that will keep track of how long the diagnostic test has been running for. This just gives you an idea if you are not attending the testing process.

The main section to look for is the lower half of the screen which is usually blank. As long as the memory testing is going ok with no errors this section of the screen should remain blank. If the diagnostic program finds any serious faults in the memory you will see it display a memory dump of address’s in this section. This is similar to what is displayed on your screen when you encounter a blue screen of death.

You now have most everything you need to know about setting up and testing your memory with diagnostic programs. This guide should help you get to the source of any intermittent problems related to your memory.

Run memtest for at least 2 hours:
[list]
If it starts showing any errors during that time then you will have to replace the memory
If there are no errors after 2 hours press Esc and that will end the tests
We will then try other options

http://www.memtest.org/#downiso
http://www.snapfiles...t/burncdcc.html

Run hard drive diagnostics: http://www.tacktech....ay.cfm?ttid=287
Make sure, you select tool, which is appropriate for the brand of your hard drive.
Depending on the program, it'll create bootable floppy, or bootable CD.
If downloaded file is of .iso type, use Burncdcc Link is in my signature below

NOTE...do not put a blank cd in until burncdcc opens the tray for you
[list]
1. Start BurnCDCC
2. Browse to the ISO file you want to burn on cd/dvd ....
3. Select the ISO file
4. click on Start

NOTE. If your hard drive is made by Toshiba, unfortunately, you're out of luck, because Toshiba doesn't provide any diagnostic tool. If you are unsure of the drive manufacturer then you can try seagate diagnostics It sometimes works on other manufacturers.

123runner

ipoder2

ipoder2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
Hey, sorry I have been away, I kept running the ram program, but something would always happen such as a cat knocking the power cord out and it died because I was busy with school. The ram test passed with no errors, and I'm trying to run the hard drive test, but I'm not sure which type of hard drive a dell inspiron 1520 has, I was hoping somebody here might know.

Advertisements

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,526 posts

If you are unsure of the drive manufacturer then you can try seagate diagnostics It sometimes works on other manufacturers.

If that does not work we may have to try something else.

123runner

ipoder2

ipoder2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
Oh, oops, didn't even see that, I had a seatools for dos disk laying around, so I put it in, and I got the message:
Invalid Opcode at 7147 1722 3046 0000 0010 6AD3 A0A0 6AB7 0000 0300 F000 08ED 03D4

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Download the seatools iso for cdrom.
Burncdcc will burn the iso file and make the cd bootable.

ipoder2

ipoder2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
I made a new cd, and put it into the broken computer and I got an error message that was very similar to my previous one

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Strange I wonder if the optical drive is the problem then?
Have you tried the cd in the working system to see if it works?