Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows boot cd failure

• Please log in to reply

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
The drive should be identified with a number in the BIOS. Google that number and it may reveal the drive's manufacturer.

Then you can get the correct diagnostics for your drive.

Advertisements

ipoder2

ipoder2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
@RShafer61:yes I just did and seatools booted up very fast with no problem on my computer.
@Wannabe1: how would I find this number?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Boot into BIOS Setup. It should tell you what key to press to enter Setup on one of the first screens you see when you start the machine...it's usually F1, F2, or Delete.

Once in the BIOS Setup, look under the "Main" heading...it should list your drives there by name or number.

ipoder2

ipoder2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
Well, unfortunately, I will most likely just be getting a new computer, as my f2-f5 keys are broken.

Deon

Deon

• PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
If it's just four keys broken on your keyboard, just buy a new keyboard.

No need to buy a whole new system! :)

ipoder2

ipoder2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
Other than those 4, I'm missing the W E S and A keys, along with the backspace not working. It's also on a laptop, can you replace the keyboard? And would it be worth replacing as I'm still not even sure whats wrong with the computer?

Deon

Deon

• PipPipPip
  • 106 posts

It's also on a laptop, can you replace the keyboard?

I'm pretty sure you can get replacement keys - you might want to check with the 'Spare Parts' department of the laptops manufacturer.

ipoder2

ipoder2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
Not only have the keys fallen off, but so have the rubber padding, it's a beat up laptop haha

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Yes it's easy to replace keyboards in a laptop with a little careful concentration. :)

If it's a Dell Inspiron 1520 then here's just a few, for that model one module of RAM is under the keyboard so a "replace RAM" how-to for your model will pretty much cover removing the keyboard, then simply unclip the current one and replace it with the new one:

http://shop.ebay.com...-All-Categories

Or you could purchase a USB keyboard and plug it in?