Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP re-install doesn't recognize 2nd harddrive

• Please log in to reply

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
Yes, it is showing it all. Just an FYI: a 500gb hard drive will often only have 4XX available, another example would be a 250gb has 230gb available... so it's showing all of it.

Assuming you want it to be one big drive, simply right click on the unallocated area, select "new simple volume" and follow the steps. One of the options should be to format it during those steps, and choosing the size of it.

Edited by Ferrari, 25 February 2010 - 07:31 PM.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Beat me to it this time :) :)

wozman7

wozman7

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
:) Looks like it's working!!
Kudos and many thanks to both rshaffer61 and ferrari for your assistance.

I also have a new Compaq Netbook with Windows 7 that has some issues, but I think that's for another topic area(?)

Thanks again!!

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
Awesome! Took long enough :) :) Glad you got it going.

Compaq Netbook with Windows 7 that has some issues, but I think that's for another topic area

Yes, just start a new topic in the appropriate area, techs respond to certain problems they are more familiar with, so that is always best with a new problem. Good luck :)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Congratulations. :) for a successful resolution for your issue.

You are very welcome. I'm glad we could help and please let us know how everything works out for you.
If there is anything else we can do to help please feel free to ask. I appreciate that you allowed Ferrari and myself to assist you with your issue and for your patience.
Thank you for choosing GeeksToGo for help. :) :)
This issue now appears to be resolved.

wozman7

wozman7

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Hello again friends - I do have one final question on this issue - it appears that, in the process of formatting my 2nd HD, the data I still had on that drive seems to have been lost. At least, it's missing, as the drive is completely empty.
Q: - am I SOL? Or is there a way to retrieve what was on that drive?
:)
(I know, I know - I should have backed it up!!)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Have you loaded anything else on the drive since the format?
If you have then most likely it is gone.
If you haven't there are several recovery software programs that may get some of it back.
PC Inspector And Recovery Software

To be able to use PC INSPECTOR™ File Recovery 4.x you need a working WINDOWS™ System. Never install the current version on the drive from which you intend to recover data! The software must be installed and run on a second, independent drive.

After starting the program, you should first select the desired language. A menu will then appear in which you can select from three different reconstruction methods.

On the next page you can chose one of three reconstruction possibilities. The program includes an extensive html help.

Please note that PC INSPECTOR™ File Recovery 4.x cannot reconstruct files from data carriers that are mechanically or electronically damaged. You should only use data recovery software if you are very confident in the use of your PC.

If your hard disk or other data carrier has a mechanical or electronic defect or you do not feel confident in the use of data recovery software, we suggest that you contact a data recovery company such as "CONVAR - The Recovery Team".

wozman7

wozman7

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
PC Inspector up & running - looks like its going to take a while.
I'll check back with you tomorrow.
Thanks again, rshaffer61.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK no problem and I will wait for your reply.

wozman7

wozman7

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Hello again, rshaffer61 - well, PC Inspector still running; 1st scan (of 'logical' drive) found the following: Drives found: 1, directories found: 915, files found: 0

Today, I clicked on 'physical' drive scan; it's about 2/3 of the way thru, but the results look the same so far. Don't know if I launched the scan correctly, but it didn't really give me any other search options. ?.

:) :) :)

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You should only be scanning the 2nd drive as that is where the files you need are hiding. I'm not sure if that is what you are stating above but if so then you are dooing a good job so far. Keep me informed as to what it finds for you.

wozman7

wozman7

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Hello again - well. PC Inspector ran it's course (twice) and was able to find 1 Drive, 915 Directories, but 0 files (?).
I've attached a picture of the 'F' Drive properties. On a 500G Drive, it reads free space of only 465G; I can't help but figure the missing data HAS to be somewhere within the unaccounted for 35G's. I've tried applying hidden folder options, but that didn't seem to do anything (or do I have to re-boot?). There's got to be a way to get at those files!!

wozman7

wozman7

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Sorry - here's the picture:

Attached Thumbnails

• F_Drive_properties.JPG

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
500 gig hd minus the normal format and ntfs stuff would bring the total free space down to 465 gigs. This is normal for drives to not show the complete capacity because of the way space is calculated.

wozman7

wozman7

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
so, is it reasonable to assume the files are gone for good?
Any point in trying any other remedies?
:)