Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

My i5 PC wont stay on

• Please log in to reply

Riizu

Riizu

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello, first off, hello. This'll be my first post on this site. Found it a a week or so ago, and now am choosing to make a thread, if only to see what you guys have to say. Anyways i'll dive into the meat of it.

The beginning of January, I purchased my first set of parts. (The list can be found under my profile I believe. Filled it in at registration.) I have been looking at building/buying one built for me for awhile. I eventually decided against having someone else build it as the only cheap solution was iBuyPower, and I read horror stories on their site and others of awful experiences. (Coincidently, a friend of mine orders his from there, got it in perfect condition. Ah, hindsight.)

Anyways, purchased all from newegg after doing close to 6 months of research. Got it all within a week, sat down with a friend, the manuals, all the parts, and my old pc (which I am using now) nearby in case I needed to reread any guides.

After 3 hours, frustrations with a mounting bracket on H50 water cooler and a retention screw sticking out the back of the mobo, I had the beast built. Crossing my fingers, I hit the power button and it didn't turn on. Unfortunately, ended up doing the case wiring wrong. (The wiring in the scout/5 different bays on the mobo was a little confusing) After fixing it everything went fine. The PC POSTed, I could get into BIOS, etc.
Next I popped in the Win 7 CD and decided to settle in. Chose the whole blank space of the HDD, and what do ya know, after the second part starts, the PC instantly reboots. I try it again, and this time is stays on. Well, after a whole night (to make sure it wasn't taking forever to format) it still didn't move. Finally came to the conclusion that the install froze. From that point on, every single install had one of those two results.

I soon got in contact with my Uncle (He runs the computer department for the city he lives in/a consultant company on the side) and asked for his take. He had me check everything was plugged in right, try it again, basically what I already did.

Afterwords, I decided to do a memtest overnight which popped up no errors, and try each stick one at a time. After trying just one stick I was able to install windows, but it only stayed on for a short amount of time then restarted. I then proceeded to update the BIOS to the latest version which also made no difference. I also tried other operating systems which provided the same result.

As of now, the PC is at my uncle's. He recently found an article here mentioning that many higher end Channel Well based power supplies wouldn't work for their test, but cheaper $35 PSU's would. At this moment, we believe that to be the most likely culprit. Any advice you guys can offer me would be great. I apologize that I don't have access to this PC now, but at the very least, I can link this to my Uncle, or use it if I still end up getting my PC back broken. (In the month he's had it, very little progress has been made due to his busy schedule.)

Anyways, thank you for at least reading this. I know it is quite long. I wanted to make sure you had the full story. Any questions I will be happy to answer.

EDIT: So apparently, your build doesn't appear on the side. Here it is.

System (optional): Core i5 750
MSI P55-GD65
1TB WD HDD
HD Radeon 5850
Corsair Dominator 4GB (2x2)
Corsair H50 CPU Cooler
Corsair 750TX 750w
Coolermaster Storm Scout
Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium

Edited by Riizu, 23 February 2010 - 11:34 PM.

Advertisements

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts

System (optional): Core i5 750
MSI P55-GD65
1TB WD HDD
HD Radeon 5850
Corsair Dominator 4GB (2x2)
Corsair H50 CPU Cooler
Corsair 750TX 750w
Coolermaster Storm Scout
Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium

Nice choices, it's a shame it's not working right now.

From what you have told me I would suspect a bad hard drive (or cable), bad power supply, or the computer is overheating. Are you 100% you mounted the cpu cooler flush? One way to check this is by going into the BIOS and checking the temperatures, ask your Uncle if they are within range. I'd say anything over 50 Celsius at Idle is way too high.

Which leads me to the next point, does the system only restart when installing windows? Or will it restart when left in the BIOS over night? This could help determine whether it's the temperatures, hard drive, or start pointing to the power supply if the temps are ok. See?

You can also run hard drive diagnostics, I made a poor video a long time ago, but it sounds like you are tech savvy enough to get it done... take a look HERE. Again, does the computer shut down while testing the hard drive, this can point to the temps or power supply.

You can pick up a PSU tester for about $20. Take a look HERE. If you are geek like me, that may come in handy someday. :) I love mine.

Let us know how it goes... keep me updated.

Riizu

Riizu

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks for the reply ferrari. As always, one can forget a couple things in a long post. In this case temperature and HDD.

One of the first things I looked at were cpu temps. If I remember correctly they never went higher than 38 degrees celcius. The cooler also seemed well attached. Even the retention bracket on the back was off kilter, the scew still went through and I tightened all the screws tightly and as evenly as I could. I even made sure the fan for the radiator was hooked up correctly and the plug for the pump was the right one.

Also, I went through and both used my old pc to format the new HDD (through Disk Management) as well as attempt to install windows, which worked.