The beginning of January, I purchased my first set of parts. (The list can be found under my profile I believe. Filled it in at registration.) I have been looking at building/buying one built for me for awhile. I eventually decided against having someone else build it as the only cheap solution was iBuyPower, and I read horror stories on their site and others of awful experiences. (Coincidently, a friend of mine orders his from there, got it in perfect condition. Ah, hindsight.)
Anyways, purchased all from newegg after doing close to 6 months of research. Got it all within a week, sat down with a friend, the manuals, all the parts, and my old pc (which I am using now) nearby in case I needed to reread any guides.
After 3 hours, frustrations with a mounting bracket on H50 water cooler and a retention screw sticking out the back of the mobo, I had the beast built. Crossing my fingers, I hit the power button and it didn't turn on. Unfortunately, ended up doing the case wiring wrong. (The wiring in the scout/5 different bays on the mobo was a little confusing) After fixing it everything went fine. The PC POSTed, I could get into BIOS, etc.
Next I popped in the Win 7 CD and decided to settle in. Chose the whole blank space of the HDD, and what do ya know, after the second part starts, the PC instantly reboots. I try it again, and this time is stays on. Well, after a whole night (to make sure it wasn't taking forever to format) it still didn't move. Finally came to the conclusion that the install froze. From that point on, every single install had one of those two results.
I soon got in contact with my Uncle (He runs the computer department for the city he lives in/a consultant company on the side) and asked for his take. He had me check everything was plugged in right, try it again, basically what I already did.
Afterwords, I decided to do a memtest overnight which popped up no errors, and try each stick one at a time. After trying just one stick I was able to install windows, but it only stayed on for a short amount of time then restarted. I then proceeded to update the BIOS to the latest version which also made no difference. I also tried other operating systems which provided the same result.
As of now, the PC is at my uncle's. He recently found an article here mentioning that many higher end Channel Well based power supplies wouldn't work for their test, but cheaper $35 PSU's would. At this moment, we believe that to be the most likely culprit. Any advice you guys can offer me would be great. I apologize that I don't have access to this PC now, but at the very least, I can link this to my Uncle, or use it if I still end up getting my PC back broken. (In the month he's had it, very little progress has been made due to his busy schedule.)
Anyways, thank you for at least reading this. I know it is quite long. I wanted to make sure you had the full story. Any questions I will be happy to answer.
EDIT: So apparently, your build doesn't appear on the side. Here it is.
System (optional): Core i5 750
1TB WD HDD
HD Radeon 5850
Corsair Dominator 4GB (2x2)
Corsair H50 CPU Cooler
Corsair 750TX 750w
Coolermaster Storm Scout
Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium
Edited by Riizu, 23 February 2010 - 11:34 PM.