Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Trouble installing ram

• Please log in to reply

odin_232

odin_232

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hello, I have purchased 2 sticks of PC2100 512mb ram. I removed my old 256mb stick and replaced it with the 2 512's, but when I booted it up I got a black screen that wouldn't load any farther. I took one stick out and it worked, so I changed that one with the other 512 stick, and that also worked. Then I tried one of the 512 sticks with the orginial 256 stick and that also worked. I then changed the 512 stick with the other one and that also worked. For some reason I just can't get both of the 512 sticks to work together.
I have an Emachine t2482 computer with a athlon xp 2400+, (right now) 768mb of ram, a ATi Radeon 9200 video card, running Windows XP sp 3.
Thanks in advance for any help.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Memory that your computer likes:
http://www.crucial.c.......nes&cat=RAM

What is the speed of your 256Mb stick?

odin_232

odin_232

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
would it be 266?

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
266Mhz = PC2100.
Based on the age of this machine it's plausible it has developed a board issue and it may have been able to do it in the past, but now it can't run both 512Mbs together. If it was a fault with the new memory, or if the machine didn't like the new memory, then it wouldn't boot at all with them.

odin_232

odin_232

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
So it just isn't gonna work with this motherboard? Do you think I could get like a 1 gig stick and get it to work or should I just get another mobo?

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
I had a AMD barton 2600 puter i built that had the same problem. It would not run PC-2100 memory(AKA PC-266) and it also would not run PC-3200 Memory( AKA PC-400). So i bought 2 1-gig sticks of PC-2700 memory( PC-333) and found out that it would still only see about 988MB of memory. Weird, but what can you do with a BIOS that has limits.

Still think i have that barton cpu lying around here somewhere. along with a bunch of other older AMD proc's, and memory.

SRX660