Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Sweet Score

• Please log in to reply

amw_drizz

amw_drizz

• PipPipPip
  • 329 posts
Just picked up a new server for the house, and it will eventually be placed in to my business once I get it up and going (the business). This server is replacing my old Dual P3 550mghz since it can't even do anything at speed anymore with out lagging like a SOB

So the good stuff, Picked up a used Dell Power Edge 2650 Server for $195, (which in my area for a 3.06ghz it is a good deal) since most are going for $500+ for the same spec,

Now the specs,
One Intel Xeon 3.06 Ghz CPU (plan on buying a second with next week paycheck only $85. for the kit which inc cpu/heatsink/fans/mounting hardware/bus card that goes next to the cpu
256mb DDR PC2100 EEC/Buffered Ram, Waiting for my new ram to show up 4gb upgrade same spec
3x 36gb SCSI HD
Redundant 500watt PSU
Dual 1gb lan with additional 10/100 NIC

All in a 2u Rack mount case, now just to build my rack mount, cause I want to get 1 or 2 more of the same spec since I would like to setup AD environment.

Pic
Posted Image

Dell Spec Sheet Clicky

Once I get my cpu this server will have cost me just under $400. Spent $60 on 4 1gb ram chips, and gonna spend about $80 for a second cpu. I've already loaded it with my Win2k3 copy and setup DNS,DHCP,Multimedia streaming,IIS (to test my php apps to make sure it works in IIS). Going to be installing MySQL and PHP (duh!). I don't plan on installing AD just yet, going to wait until I am ready for it since it makes some significant changes to the OS, and the only way I've found to fully remove it is to reinstall the OS.

Now if I can just get 1 or 2 more for the same price.

Edited by amw_drizz, 24 February 2010 - 02:32 AM.

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Looks like a good pickup, I've got a dual-processor Pentium 3 1.13GHz server I'm playing with at the moment, it's a lot of fun! I won mine on eBay for a dollar. Since then I've replaced the motherboard for over $100 (!) and one of the SCSI hard drives died so I'm running two 40GB IDE in RAID 1... It's got SBS 2000 on it!

Oh and mine is a desktop style (stand up tower), not rackmount.

Make sure to load more pics once you have the setup all up and running. :)

amw_drizz

amw_drizz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 329 posts
I've loaded it with Win2k3 Server. Just waiting on my ram right now, After I get it I want to setup the ChipKill Hotswap. I've found an awesome online store (US Based) that deals with HP, Compaq, Dell Servers & Parts. Place has CPU's & HD's much cheaper than anywhere else I looked.

I moved the server to the final resting spot (for now until I get the time to make my rack mount). So images
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image