Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Make insertion bar more visible

• Please log in to reply

wright3279

wright3279

• PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
I'm helping my sight-impaired brother make things easier to see on his computer. One thing is the insertion bar. I'm not sure if that's the correct name and would explain why googling it brings up so many irrelevant results. It's the vertical bar that appears in the text when you click anywhere in the paragraph or in a search box. How can it be made wider and darker? Thank you.

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
I think I know the one you mean - the flashing one that follows along as you type? I don't know what it's called but I've never seen any options to make it bigger or heard of it specifically done.

Have you increased the DPI - does that help any? Zoom in on the text size perhaps?

Let me know what you've tried.

wright3279

wright3279

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
I found something under Control Panel, Mouse, Pointers, Windows Inverted extra large in the list. I'll see if that helps him any.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
the flashing line or i-beam is called a cursor (just like your mouse cursor)

if his computer is XP as well if you click on start, then accessories, then accessibility, you can run the accessibility wizard to increase the size of most system functions on screen.

in internet explorer you can click on tools then internet options and there should be an accessibility button on the first page. there you can tell IE to ignore font sizes etc.. on web pages. normally the web page decides how big to show the content. the accessibility options will tell IE to ignore these settings

wright3279

wright3279

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
Thanks for the info.