Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

WOW and W7 issues

• Please log in to reply

Po' Smedley

Po' Smedley

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
My step-son had a refurbished 32bit emachine he played WOW on for two years. When the PC died, I replaced it with a COMPAQ CQ4010F 64bit with Win7 Home Premium. It has an nVidia 6150se nForce 430 integrated video card. The very day we hooked it up and installed WOW, WOW began crashing.
Here is what I have done so far.
-Ran the repair tool ~ Blue Screen in mid play
-Ran Compatability Troubleshooter~set it to run in XP SP3 - Blue Screen midplay
-Uninstalled and reinstalled WOW all into C:\Users\Public|Games - Blue Screen midplay

During all of this I discovered certain programs were not running - PC Health check-Hp Health Check - would tell me they were not licensed to run on this PC.

Did a full system recovery.
Installed wireless network card
Uninstalled Norton and installed AVAST.
Set Avast to game mode.
Installed WOW
He played for about 30 minutes when we got the Blue Screen again.

Blue Screen is giving the following code-
0x0000001e (0x0000000000000000, 0x0000000000000000, 0x0000000000000000, 0x0000000000000000, 0x0000000000000000, 0x0000000000000000)

It does not list any drivers or possible causes for the crash and does a full memory dump.
In the event log it shows as
Details
+System
-Event Data
param1
param2 C;\Windows\Memory.DMP
param3 013110-17144-01

The PC is a Compaq CQ4010F PC
nVidia GeForce 6150SE nForce 430
2GB RAM

After the recovery, all of the other programs that were not working were fine and still are.

I upgraded the video card to Galaxy 84GFE6HDFEXN GeForce 8400 GS Video Card - 512MB GDDR2, PCI Express 1.0 x16, Support for 1GB Memory, (Dual Link) DVI. VGA, HDTV, Low Profile (I'm a tiny bit PC literate and knew the integrated card was not the best thing for WOW)

WOW still crashes.

There are a few possibilities I have come across in forums.

-The software install: He has the LIch KIng expansion and I have read that that alone could be the culprit. Half way through installing everything, the software wants to then move it all to a new file under C:\\Users. It does not appear to move everything and I have read that WOW may be crashing because something is not where it should be.

-The wireless adapter - I read a few things but nothing saying the 'PC would crash' just the game.

I'm usually half decent at researching and finding answers but I am totally stumped on this one. The WOW forums and techs have been no help. There are numerous posts similar to mine that just go unresolved and die out. The few 'fixes' I have seen posted involve registry tweaks and such and I know better than to go mucking around in there. The only suggestion I did try involved reinstalling the game setting all of it to install into the folder (this option forces me to create the folder) that WOW will eventually want to move it all into. That did not work.

What I don't get is that I can play the game and it doesn't crash for an hour and then my son gets on and it will crash in 5 minutes or 30 minutes or an hour...etc. I don't think he is doing anything 'wrong' but there must be something he 'is' doing unintentionally that is triggering the crash and I can't for the life of me figure it out.

He got the new PC for Christmas and this has been going on since then. He hasn't been able to play the game without this issue and I feel terrible because I can't get it to work for him.

If someone can help, I will be patient and go through whatever I need to step-by-step.

Thank You.

Advertisements

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
Sounds like you have done some decent troubleshooting on this issue. Have you run windows updates and checked for optional updates? I just want to make sure that you have all the drivers listed there installed.

When you get ready to run WoW, have you tried right clicking on the shortcut and choose "run as administrator"?

I don't play WoW (shocking I know :) ) But I am willing to do a trial so I can test the install. I do have windows 7 home premium x64 version.

Po' Smedley

Po' Smedley

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Have you run windows updates and checked for optional updates?

When you get ready to run WoW, have you tried right clicking on the shortcut and choose "run as administrator"?

Yes and yes.
I tried different settings in the compatability mode.
Also tried the following based on forum tips from Blizzard
-install in C:\\Users\Public\Games
-start from WOW.exe in games folder and NOT shortcut
- Uninstall-reinstall
- complete system recovery
-updated intagrated video card
-installed new video card ; updated all drivers
-ran hp health check and hp tune up

All of this seems so odd considering the PC is brand new. Previous to all the problems with WOW we had only gone on the internet to do the updates- no real 'surfing'.

The only other thing I can think of, which wouldn't make sense is the USB wireless adapter. We had a cheap no-name no-brand on the PC (carried over from the old one) that would not work. I had Time Warner come out and update the whole wireless network. We now have Linsky USB Wireless-G adapters and a new wireless modem. The guy was able to connect two out of three computers. The one he couldn't was my sons. He let me look at it and I had it connected in three minutes. What I don't know is how long he mucked with it trying to connect and what he did. But I would think whatever he did, the system recovery would have wiped it out or fixed it or whatever. When I did the system recovery, I had to reinstall it and had absolutely no issues with what so ever.

I am thinking (hoping-cause I don't want this to be a bad motherboard) that either WOW is not installing correctly- and my gut says it has to do with the Lich King upgrade and moving the files-----or there is a MS file that is missing for some reason. I have also thought about whether this could be a directx issue. The integrated card could not run Directx10 or 11 if I read my info right (which is what Win7 WANTS to run?), but this new one should be able to.

I recently purchased Star Trek On-Line for myself (screwing with his WOW got me interested in MMO - heaven help me) and am thinking of installing it on his PC to see if it will crash on that. Not sure if that would be a good benchmark or not because I don't know if the demands on the system are the same or not.

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
very odd indeed. I'll ask for some contributors from our other staff and see if they have any suggestions.

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
could be a memory issue. Follow the instructions below to test the memory.

The Windows Memory Diagnostics Tool is an easy to create, easy to use application available from Microsoft that is a valuable tool in troubleshooting suspected RAM problems. Download the tool and save the file to your desktop. Double click on the downloaded file to open the disk creation application.

When the downloaded file is opened, the creation software will start and you will be presented with a license agreement...accept that and you will see the options to create a bootable floppy diskette or to copy the CD image to a location on your computer as shown below.

Posted Image

When the "Create Startup Disk..." button is clicked, you will be prompted to select the floppy drive to use to create the disk. In the majority of cases, there will be only one choice and it will be selected by default as shown in the example below. Insert a diskette into the floppy drive and click on the "Create" button.

Posted Image

When the "Save CD Image to Disk..." button is clicked, you will be prompted to save the CD image to a location on your computer. Save it to a location you will remember such as your My Documents folder or the desktop. In the example below, I've created a folder on the desktop named windiag to save the file to.

Posted Image

Once the image has been saved to a location on your computer, you can use your burning software to burn the image to a cd. If your software doesn't support burning ISO Images or you do not have burning software installed, you can use a tool like ISO Recorder which will add a "Copy Image to CD" option to the right click context menu. You can simply right click on the saved image and choose that option...the burning tool will open.

Use the disk you create to boot the computer. The diagnostics will run automatically and will continue to do so until it is terminated. It should be left to run for a minimum of four complete passes. If you have the time, an hour or two is better.

If the RAM module(s) is good, each test in each pass will display a green "Succeeded" message in the Pass field as shown in the image below.

Posted Image

If the RAM module(s) is bad, one or more passes will display a red "Failed" message in the Pass field as shown in the image below.

Posted Image

Any failure in any test may indicate a bad module. If there is more than one module installed on the machine when a failure is indicated, remove all but one module and begin the test again, testing each module by itself until the failing module is found.

To terminate the diagnostics, remove the disk and press the X key or power the machine off.

Other things to try when faced with suspected memory problems:
  • Set the BIOS Fail Safe Defaults in Setup.
  • Reset the CMOS. (Advanced)
  • Adjust RAM voltage/timing. (Advanced)
Some platforms provide for changes to the RAM settings, some offer limited adjustment, and some will not have the option to change the RAM settings. Making changes to RAM settings in the BIOS is best left to advanced users.

Edited by starjax, 26 February 2010 - 02:46 PM.

Po' Smedley

Po' Smedley

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Thanks. I will give this a try Saturday afternoon (I have to work tomorrow morning) and post the results.

Po' Smedley

Po' Smedley

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Okay, I ran the diagnostic tool and did 10 passes and everything said passed.

I did some more looking around and downloaded CCleaner and cleaned the registry.

Am currently running the WOW repair toll (for the dozen or so time) to see if after running CCleaner it might be able to fix whatever is wrong.

I did a System REcovery once. I have to use the 'Recovery Discs' I had to make since this does not come with any discs. Is/Was that the same as 'clean install' and is it possible to do one with the recovery discs? I ask because a lot of the stuff I am searching about the error code and such says a 'windows' file may be missing or is corrupted and a clean install is advised. Unless you think that would not fix the problem.

*EDIT- and it crashed.
I played for about an hour with the beginner character I created (level5)
I let my son get on and he went right to his level 53 character and it crashed in 2 minutes. This must have something to do with the particular expansion pack.
He has WOW
then The Burning Crusade Expansion Pack
then Wrath of The Lich King Expansion pack.

Now, WOW does NOT give you the option top install what you want. Once the sever recognizes that you have an expansion pack, you HAVE to load it. It's during the BC or WoL install that it wants to move all the files from Programs to a new one created in Users. It must not be able to find something when it wants it.

The Blue Screen says to check with the vendor for a BIOS update, which I will do.

Will all these 'crashes' just corrupt everything further. IT is always the same code, so there does not appear to be any changes in the cause of crash.

Edited by Po' Smedley, 28 February 2010 - 11:59 AM.

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
Once the tool is finished, please let your son play WoW for a while and see if it happens. Please don't do anything further until we instruct you on it.

To answer your question about system recovery cd's (also known as system restore) these perform a complete wipe of the hard drive and restore the system to like new settings (from the factory). Nearly equivilant to a clean install.

I don't think we need to go that route again

download and install WhoCrashed from [url="http://<a%20href="http://www.resplendence.com/download/whocrashedSetup.exe"%20target="_blank">http://www.resplende...edSetup.exe</a>"]here[/url]..
This program checks for any drivers which may have been causing your computer to crash....

click on it...then run...then next...put a tick in accept...then next..put a tick in the don't create a start menu folder..then next...put a tick in create a desktop icon..then install.. then make sure there is a tick in launch whocrashed...then finish...then click Analyze ...
WhoCrashed will create report...you have to scroll down to see it
Copy and paste it into your next reply..

Po' Smedley

Po' Smedley

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Got this message wen I went to run WhoCrashed

"This software requires the right version of Windows Debugging Tools for your type of computer. Because this is not normally installed and is not redistributable, we suggest you select the download option from below. Then the right package will be downloaded to a temporary folder and the required files will be extracted from the package automatically. You only need to do this once. In case you do have WinDbg available on your computer, make sure it is the right version for your version of Windows then you can select the option to locate WinDbg yourself. "

What do I do?

Po' Smedley

Po' Smedley

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
DOwnloaded correct version.

Analysis
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Crash dump directory: C:\Windows\Minidump

Crash dumps are enabled on your computer.

On Sun 2/28/2010 6:23:49 PM your computer crashed
This was likely caused by the following module: nwifi.sys
Bugcheck code: 0x1E (0x0, 0x0, 0x0, 0x0)
Error: KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
Dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\022810-13462-01.dmp
file path: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\nwifi.sys
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: NativeWiFi Miniport Driver
The crash took place in a standard Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect, possibly the culprit may be another driver on your system which cannot be identified at this time.

On Sun 2/28/2010 5:52:48 PM your computer crashed
This was likely caused by the following module: nvlddmkm.sys
Dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\022810-13291-01.dmp
file path: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\nvlddmkm.sys
product: NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 190.45
company: NVIDIA Corporation
description: NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 190.45

On Wed 2/24/2010 2:34:14 AM your computer crashed
This was likely caused by the following module: nvstor64.sys
Dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\022310-16582-01.dmp
file path: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\nvstor64.sys
product: NVIDIA nForce™ SATA Driver
company: NVIDIA Corporation
description: NVIDIA® nForce™ Sata Performance Driver

On Sat 2/13/2010 1:21:54 AM your computer crashed
This was likely caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe
Dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\021210-12355-01.dmp
file path: C:\Windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
description: NT Kernel & System
The crash took place in a standard Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect, possibly the culprit may be another driver on your system which cannot be identified at this time.

On Sat 2/13/2010 12:58:03 AM your computer crashed
Dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\021210-13977-01.dmp

On Sat 2/6/2010 8:43:05 PM your computer crashed
Dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\020610-17097-01.dmp

On Sun 1/31/2010 6:26:45 PM your computer crashed
Dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\013110-24601-01.dmp

On Sun 1/31/2010 5:40:24 PM your computer crashed
Dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\013110-14664-01.dmp

On Sun 1/31/2010 4:49:16 PM your computer crashed
Dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\013110-17144-01.dmp

On Sun 1/31/2010 2:50:41 AM your computer crashed
Dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\013010-15771-01.dmp

On Sun 1/31/2010 1:50:23 AM your computer crashed
Dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\013010-18002-01.dmp

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Conclusion

11 crash dumps have been found and analyzed. Note that it's not always possible to state with certainty whether a reported driver is really responsible for crashing your system or that the root cause is in another module. Nonetheless it's suggested you look for updates for the products that these drivers belong to and regularly visit Windows update or enable automatic updates for Windows. In case a piece of malfunctioning hardware is causing trouble, a search with Google on the bug check errors together with the model name and brand of your computer may help you investigate this further.

Advertisements

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
crash analysis indicates that it is related to a networking issue. What wireless card did you install?

Po' Smedley

Po' Smedley

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
I looked up a few of these errors and could not help but notice the keyboard references. He is running a Wireless Multi Media Microsoft Keyboard 1.1 Part # x801524-100
product id 76642-545-2139472-40198

WIRELESS CARD - the card is a LINKSYS Wireless - G 2.4 GHz 802.11g Model# WUSB54G

The Wireless Router is new as well because the old one was not compatible with his PC (see posts above)
I am looking at the router now and am furious. I went from a Motorla router and two no name cheap USB adapters to a No Name router and two LINKsys adapters. I have no idea what kind of router Timewarner has switched me out for and if it is compatible to the best of it's ability with the new adapters.

WIRELESS ROUTER - This is all the info I could get on the router by searching the default gateway IP

Cable Modem Information
Cable Modem : DOCSIS 1.0/1.1/2.0 Compliant
MAC Address : 00:24:2c:14:ab:6c
Serial Number : 93R1911004467
Boot Code Version : 2.1.6d
Software Version : 5.66.1026
Hardware Version : 4.10

It has a bunch of barcode stickers on the bottom. If I knew which one would help, I will post it.

******I took out the wireless keyboard and mouse and put back the two USB connected ones (keyboard and mouse) and he is playing WOW for almost an hour with no crashes.

Edited by Po' Smedley, 28 February 2010 - 02:19 PM.

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
the router itself is not an issue. I would go out to Linksys and see if they have a new driver available for the wireless card. I would also go out to Microsoft and see if they have a driver for the keyboard. However, both of these may have drivers available through windows update.

Click the window key at the bottom, and enter "windows updates" (without the quotes). This will bring up the windows update window. Click on optional updates if it lists any available.

Po' Smedley

Po' Smedley

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
I'm checking into the LYNKSYS drivers now. I can't find anything that says that adapter is compatible with Windows 7. grrr... Time Warner! The whole point of them coming out was to update the hardware with what was current and compatible with my sons system.

I have Vista Home Premium on mine and the same adapter. I have been playing STar Trek On LIne and have no issues at all.

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
I'm not sure if you have the version 1.0 or version 3.0 of this hardware. However, I'll be optomistic that they provided v3.0.

http://www.linksysby...SB54GC/download

Go ahead and try the 32bit driver. It should work ok for you system.

IF for some reason you have version 1.0 of this usb wireless card, I would be expecting replacement or compensation from your provider.