Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

WOW and W7 issues

• Please log in to reply

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,591 posts
also, to check what driver your using for the wireless card, follow the following:

Control Panel\Network and Internet\Network and Sharing Center
under "view active networks", click the link next to "connections"
This will take you to the network status. Click properties to find the "wireless connection properties".
At the top it will list our network card. Click on "configure".
Click on the driver tab.

List what it shows for date and for driver version.

Advertisements

Po' Smedley

Po' Smedley

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Driver Provider : Ralink
Driver Date: 2/26/2009
Driver Version: 3.1.1.0

Does this info tell you if I have the 1.0 version of the USB adapter? And if not, how can I find out? I have the installation disk and some paper work but cannot find the version info.
*Edit
Here's what I could get from the PDF on the installation disk
Posted Image

Edited by Po' Smedley, 01 March 2010 - 08:07 AM.

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,591 posts
I'm going to go with v3.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
try a wired keyboard and see if the problem goes away...

Po' Smedley

Po' Smedley

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
I updated the drivers. I won't have a chance to really test it until the weekend. (The boys only allowed WOW on weekends)

I did switch to a wired keyboard and mouse last weekend. (he has a special WOW keyboard, wired) and he managed to play twice for about an hour each time with no crashes.

When I can set him loose on it this weekend, I will report back with how the updates and keyboard are working.

Po' Smedley

Po' Smedley

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Well....
We booted it up yesterday.
Updated the wireless usb adapter.
Booted up WOW.
It had a 'patch' to download and install.
Rebooted WOW.
Logged on.
Selected character.
Crashed in about 30 seconds.
Tried other level characters...same thing.

This can't be the PC. Previous to yesterday he could play anywhere from 20 minutes to an hour.
I'm leaning towards how the darn files for the game are being installed/placed/shuffled all over. And I am getting NO help from WOW. This really blows for him. This has to be the first time ever that I have been completely stumped.

****EDIT

Okay. I finally broke down and called Tech Support.
I have run the Microsoft Memeory DIagnostic Tool
I have updated
video card
no update for the bios or motherboard cause the PC is so new
run microsoft update
switched out the wirelss keyboards/mouse for wired
run WOW file checker/fix
followed the steps on the WOW support pages

The tech guy tells me it's the PC...yet I find thread after thread of folks with the same issue on W7 64bit.

The tech guy says the software CAN'T cause a blue screen crash. I asked if the software is not installing properly and the game wants a file that is not where it should be (WOW or MS) would it crash and give me the blue screen? He says 'no'

He send me an email requesting info.
I run the game, it crashes..I take a Picture of the blue screen for my reply email. I then follow all of his instructions, gathering the info he wants.

I get to one that tells me how to find and get to the 'Errors' folder.
THERE IS NO ERRORS FOLDER!?!?!?
C/Users/Public/Games/World of Warcraft has no Errors folder.
But when I open the Litch King install Log..it says one was installed.

How can this NOT be the software installation being bad that is causing the crash???

Waiting to hear back.

Edited by Po' Smedley, 07 March 2010 - 01:37 PM.

Po' Smedley

Po' Smedley

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
This is the response I got from Blizzard after following their instructions on sending the info they wanted.

Hello again, Thank you for taking the time to contact Blizzard Entertainment Technical Support in regards to your technical issue. Well your drivers look fine from your system logs. Really the only thing that doesnt look fine is your Windows error logs. These logs show that almost all programs run from this system are crashing or hanging when used, another indication that we are looking at a hardware/driver compatability/configuration issue. This BSOD typically implies that there is potentially an issue with hardware compatability. BIOS updates if avaiable can sometimes improve upon this.

1/31/2010 6:17 PM Application Hang The program iexplore.exe version 8.0.7600.16385 stopped interacting with Windows and was closed. To see if more information about the problem is available, check the problem history in the Action Center control panel.
 Process ID: 90
 Start Time: 01caa29f25157f10
 Termination Time: 0
 Application Path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
 Report Id: d28deef1-0e94-11df-b22c-90e6ba65692a

3/2/2010 8:09 PM Application Hang The program wmplayer.exe version 12.0.7600.16415 stopped interacting with Windows and was closed. To see if more information about the problem is available, check the problem history in the Action Center control panel.
 Process ID: 684
 Start Time: 01caba44325b1970
 Termination Time: 65
 Application Path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Media Player\wmplayer.exe
 Report Id: 86f92d51-2637-11df-b5a8-90e6ba65692a

3/2/2010 8:09 PM Windows Error Reporting Fault bucket 725440625, type 5
Event Name: AppHangB1
Response: Not available
Cab Id: 0

Problem signature:
P1: wmplayer.exe
P2: 12.0.7600.16415
P3: 4a98ae4b
P4: d616
P5: 0
P6: 
P7: 
P8: 
P9: 
P10: 

Attached files:
C:\Users\Cameron\AppData\Local\Temp\WER3DBA.tmp.appcompat.txt
C:\Users\Cameron\AppData\Local\Temp\WER3F41.tmp.WERInternalMetadata.xml

These files may be available here:
C:\Users\Cameron\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportArchive\AppHang_wmplayer.exe_c3ec2b6c5c45b438d5d62db5d2e5b3c0604c1_099f7389

Analysis symbol: 
Rechecking for solution: 0
Report Id: 86f92d51-2637-11df-b5a8-90e6ba65692a
Report Status: 0

These are the larger system related issues I was referred to earlier when we were talking on the phone. When errors occur in the system, you will also see them result from the game. Please refer to your system/hardware manufacturer for further assistance with driver installation/troubleshooting.

EVERYTHING is up to date.
Windows Solutions has no answers for the above issues or any of the crashes I have reported.
It appears I am stuck.

Po' Smedley

Po' Smedley

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
UPDATE:

After being tottally agravated by Blizzard, I did some more looking around.

I found a few things and here is what I have done.

I installed GameBooster from iObit and their OneCare software as well. OneCare checks the registry and windows files and a bunch of other stuff. GameBooster shuits down everything That you don't need while playing. Uninstalled the drivers and software for the wirless keyboard and mouse.

It crashed.

I looked and looked for 64bit drivers for the Linksys WUSB54G to run on WIndows& and came across this.
http://www.bilal.ca/...-x64-windows-7/

What this guy has done, because the Win7 64 bit drivers do not exist, is made a driver/patch that tells the PC that what you have is a RAlink adaptor (if I am wrong, someone correct me, please).

I uninstalled the Linksys driver and installed the patch that this guy made and my step-son has been playing WOW all day, for the first time since Christmas without a single problem.

The longest he has ever been able to play is about an hour to an hour and a half. He has been playing for about three hours, and able to walk away and leave it up and go back to play with no issues.

I don't understand why the driver trick worked, and maybe someone more knowledgeable can explain, but it does so far. The real test will be over the coming weeks.

So, I am guessing this was a 'Driver' issue as pointed out.

Thanks for all the help. If anything changes, I will add to this.

:)

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
thanks for letting us know... :)