Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

SAS vs MBAM?

• Please log in to reply

asmo

asmo

• PipPip
  • 53 posts
Hi Guys,

I know the answer is probably that they're probably aimed at different areas. I notice the tutorials always mention MBAM but SAS is also meant to be very good too and reading the security help forum SAS is never mentioned.

I'm no expert I have both, I was just wondering which is better.

Advertisements

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
Well like you said, they are aimed at different areas sort of, SAS seems to pick up tracking cookies really well, MBAM doesn't. One isn't really better than the other, they are usually considered to go hand in hand with one another. Neither of them are "real time" protection, but just stand a lone scanners. (SAS does protect your homepage from being changed on your browser)

On my system, I scan with Malwarebytes every so often, and then directly after scan with Super-Antispyware. To clarify, here is a quote from a trusted Malware Staff (or soon to be staff I should say) about a similar question I had... (he prefers MBAM over SAS)

Thanks Gammo! I can't tell you how much I respect the malware staff around here, keep up the good work. I didn't have the drive to complete GeekU, I'm a drop out

Anyway, I have completed all the recommended steps. Thanks so much. I have a question though:

[Gammo] *Install* SpywareBlaster to help prevent spyware from installing in the first place

Can I use this along side Super Anti-Spyware? Or has Super Anti-Spyware been replaced by a better Spyware Blaster? What do you recommend?

I will await your answer, thank you. J.R. (Ferrari)

He said this...

Yes, I can be used alongside SUPERAntiSpyware.

SpywareBlaster and SUPERAntiSpyware are two different kind of programs.

SpywareBlaster gives passive protection (no running processes or services). You'll have to enable SpywareBlaster's protection. That will add some data to the Windows Registry. This data will prevent your computer from installing some known ActiveX-based malware and ad/tracking cookies. It will also add a bunch of websites to the restricted zone of Internet Explorer.

No real-time protection. No spyware removal. Just some prevention.

By the way, when it comes to spyware removal, I do prefer Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware over SUPERAntiSpyware.

Edited by Ferrari, 24 February 2010 - 05:02 PM.

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP

Neither of them are "real time" protection, but just stand a lone scanners. (SAS does protect your homepage from being changed on your browser)

The free versions are stand-alone scanners. If you want more protection, you can purchase the full version and get real time protection.

One area that MBAM has targeted aggressively is rogue antispyware. As you can see in our self-help tutorials, MBAM is effective in removing these types of programs, and the full version of MBAM is good at protecting against them to begin with. This is not meant to be an endorsement of MBAM over SAS, just a way to identify the target markets.

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts

Neither of them are "real time" protection, but just stand a lone scanners. (SAS does protect your homepage from being changed on your browser)

The free versions are stand-alone scanners. If you want more protection, you can purchase the full version and get real time protection.

Yes, it probably would of been more proper to have noted that. Thanks Sari :)

asmo

asmo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
Thanks for the replies, its something to keep in mind as I always run SAS first mainly because of its portable version which can be renamed. Might start running MBAM first now.

Ibrad2010

Ibrad2010

GeekU Freshman

• PipPipPip
  • 339 posts
I think it depends on what type of malware you are fighting. Malwarebytes is strong against FakeAV's wgile I have seen Superantispyware strong against Vundo and other trojans. If possible I would use both to clean a machine.

OWNAGESINGH

OWNAGESINGH

Banned

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I think MBAM is genarally the best.

yanluo

yanluo

• Pip
  • 3 posts
As Ferrari said, they are both different programs with different strengths. I personally have MBAM installed on my main drive and I have the portable version of SAS on a flashdrive. Whenever I do an MBAM scan, I run the portable SAS scanner right afterwards. Always picks up some tracking cookies that the former missed. Nothing wrong with being careful!

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
If I may jump in here with a few questions and comments:

I feel that SAS & MBAM are both excellent programs with different Definition Databases. (so I was told back when my curiosities concerning malware was first heightened) And what one doesn't do, the other will.

My sister had an issue with a Trojan quite awhile back that took out her ability to connect to the internet. I was guided to run SAS and not MBAM, which did re-enable the connection. Could someone explain to me why for future reference? :)

Donna

BHowett

BHowett

OT Moderator

• 4,649 posts

I feel that SAS & MBAM are both excellent programs with different Definition Databases. (so I was told back when my curiosities concerning malware was first heightened) And what one doesn't do, the other will.

My sister had an issue with a Trojan quite awhile back that took out her ability to connect to the internet. I was guided to run SAS and not MBAM, which did re-enable the connection. Could someone explain to me why for future reference? :)

Donna

Hi Donna,

Since you are a GIT, all your questions about malware or how tools run should be posted in the private forums. You will learn about how and why tools do what they do as you progress through your training. Depending on what type of trojan you were dealing with MBAM would of most likely worked as well.

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts

Donna

Hi Donna,

Since you are a GIT, all your questions about malware or how tools run should be posted in the private forums. You will learn about how and why tools do what they do as you progress through your training. Depending on what type of trojan you were dealing with MBAM would of most likely worked as well.

Oh my! Please pardon the momentary lapse of reason! :)
When I found this thread, I nearly hit my head on the ceiling when I jumped for joy! Guess I'm a little impatient to have all the questions I've ever pondered upon to be answered.

Thank you for you guidance BHowett. Another lesson well learned!
Donna :)