Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

new cd thing

• Please log in to reply

Dedrivudd

Dedrivudd

• PipPip
  • 98 posts
Well I got a new cd-thing (i dont know what is it in english but where you put your cd) well i added my new cd thing and i put two wires in it, the other the grey cabel too.. well i'm sure that they got power but when i start my comp i jsut get the new one to work and cant get the other. I cant see it on my comp. so do i have to add it somewhere or install it.. can you please help.. i'm bad at thins so i need instrucions..

:tazz:

Advertisements

hudihoo

hudihoo

• PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
you have to take them both out. where you plug in the wide gray cable look to the right there should be a place with jumpers you have to set one to master and one to slave. they are probably both set to master so only one works. put one as slave and it should be fine.

Dedrivudd

Dedrivudd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
how to put it as slave?

I have some cable on the other and i dont have anythign next to the grey one on the one with is working now..

Dedrivudd

Dedrivudd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
can anyone help..

the_Jackal

the_Jackal

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
Okay here goes...

The CD thingy you have is a CD-ROM, this could also be a DVD-Rom, CD-Writer depending on what you have purchased. The grey Cable you have which should be around 3-4" wide is the IDE cable, this cable is the cable that is responsible for transfering the data from the CD to your computer. The white cable which gives the CD-ROM power is called a molex connector.

Now if you look at the back of the CD-ROM you will find that ther are (off the top of my head) around 6 to 8 little spikes/pins, two of these spikes/pins have a little piece of plastic over them, the plastic has a coating of metal inside it, these spikes are called jumpers.

On the CD-ROM itself somewhere you will see a little picture showing diagrams of these jumpers displaying master, slave etc.

Now if you have 2 CD-ROMS both set to master only 1 CD-ROM will be seen by the computer so the other needs to be set to slave, you do this by taking the little piece of plastic off the two pins (not actually sure what the plastic cover is called?), you then need to put the little piece of plastic over the two spikes/pins as per the diagram, one CD-ROM set to master the other to slave.

Hopefully that should now make a little sense and give you more of an idea of what you are trying to do.

Dedrivudd

Dedrivudd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
thank you very much for your help! As you probably saw I'm not very good at this but you showed me how to do it and thank you fir that..

My both cd_rom drivers were set to SLAVE!

thank you! :tazz:

Insanitystreak

Insanitystreak

• PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
yeh sometimes you have to install them together otherwise the old one gets forgotten about.