Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

My friend's modem restarts itself.

• Please log in to reply

therealgeek

therealgeek

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hello, this message is on the behalf of my friend as he can't post:

His modem (Scientific Atlanta 2203C) Keeps resetting itself. The lights go Power-DS-US-Online-Link. It gets to US after power and ds are solid and will just keep blinking. (US = Upstream; DS = Downstream.)

He tried: Different modem, Different Cable, The cable connection cables (the black ones), Different outlet, Battery in, battery out, removing the router.

None of these have seemed to fix the issue. This will happen for anywhere from 1 week to a month on and off then it usually stops for awhile until starting up yet again. I've called my ISP (Brighthouse) which supplies me Earthlink and they don't know how to fix it. Earthlink just tells me to talk to brighthouse. The connection is a 6mpbs but I usually get 9/10 on speedtests so the connection is fine. (According to brighthouse.

Advertisements

therealgeek

therealgeek

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Changing the splitters fixed the issue!

DaffyKantReed

DaffyKantReed

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts
Nice one.

Legacy splitters rated for less than 1000MHz on the high end can sometimes cause problems like you've just seen and fixed. The passive caps, coils, and resistors either roll off or simple do not pass the desired frequencies any longer.