Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

DVI No Signal

• Please log in to reply

Vedas

Vedas

• Pip
  • 5 posts
So I got my new computer and I am having a real pain getting it running. The first day i was getting a DVI no signal picture on my monitor ASUS HD monitor 22'' with DVI VGA and HDMI connections. VGA and HDMI don't work either. My Graphics cards are ATI Radeon 5850's (Crossfire). Processor is i7 960. I have fans everywhere so i doubt it is a heat issue. I finally got it working that first day by wiggling some stuff and it was good for bout 8 hours...Then screen froze and it dropped everything so i had to shut it down. I reseated the Cards checked power lines to them and nothing fixed it. The next day I messed with it again and for some reason it turned on...PS i was playing CoD4 on max graphics for those 8 hours and 6 hours the next day. I don't think there is a problem with any of the parts because it was able to stay on so long and everything worked...Today I have tried adding the second crossfire bridge and setting fan speed on high and still no luck. While it was working I went to ATI and updated drivers...I also did windows update (I'm on windows 7 64-bit). I REALLY don't want to regret the purchase cause when it's working it's awesome. Is there anything I can do to stabilize it??? I want DVI to work and later I want to get HDMI working. I just can't think of what's wrong with it because it worked for SO long. If there is anything i can download when I somehow get it working again please let me know.

Advertisements

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
Hi Vedas,

It could be any number of issues. Is this the system you ended up getting? http://www.geekstogo...ce-t267539.html

Have you tried a different monitor? Does the computer seem to turn on at all? Or completely dead? You may want to try this. Try only one video card. Try using DVI, VGA, and HDMI. Also, do this with only one stick of RAM in the first Red Slot DIMM 1A (the closest red one to the cpu). Does it boot? If not, change video cards, and change the one stick of RAM. Does it boot? What about beep codes? Do you have a old PCI-E or PCI card you can try as a test?

If none of this works, it would be best to break it down into the bare essentials and bench test it. Which is a shame you had ibuypower build it because it would mean practically rebuilding the system. However, if you bought this from Ibuypower, does this void warranty at all? Have you contacted them for troubleshooting the problem?

How to perform a bench test:
  • Remove the motherboard from the case and place it on a piece of cardboard
  • Install only the CPU with heatsink and fan (remember to use thermal paste and plug in the fan)
  • Install only 1 stick of ram in dimm 1 (consult your motherboard manual for which slot is to be used)
  • Hook up the Power Supply (there should be a 20 or 24pin connector, and a 4 or 8pin connector)
  • Use onboard video, (if not available, use a video card)
  • Use any momentary case switch, or have your case close enough to install it's case switch
  • Make sure there is a case speaker connected, many modern motherboards have an onboard speaker
  • Connect a ps2 mouse and keyboard along with the monitor (if all you have is USB, that's ok)
  • Power the system on
  • Can you get to the BIOS? (Consult motherboard manual on how to enter the BIOS)
DO NOT hook up the hard drive, CD/DVD, case fans, lights, or anything else not mentioned above.

If the system does not power on, replace the 1 stick of RAM with the other stick. Are you getting any kind of beep codes? Do you get any video? Do the fans remain on, but no video?

Edited by Ferrari, 25 February 2010 - 12:33 AM.

Vedas

Vedas

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I have 0 experience working inside the comp other than what I have done when I talked to tech support. I ended up getting that in the Dr. I case and 5850's instead of the 5770's... I read around in similar posts and I saw that one guy said if you remove your RAM and you don't hear beeps, you have a faulty Motherboard. I got no beeps so I'm thinking that's the problem. As for the other monitor..I have not tried another yet but I do plan to. I don't plan on doing one video card at a time because it has worked previously so I don't think that's the issue. That and I'm not entirely comfortable taking things out of the comp due to my lack of experience. The computer and everything inside is receiving power just fine. Those are the reasons I think its the motherboard...the only thing I really don't understand is how it can work for hours and then fail like that. I will also be trying a new DVI cable when I get a chance but again...since it worked for so long I'm not sure that's the issue. Thanks for your current aid and a response to this would be super. Main thing here is I want confirmation that no beeps = faulty Motherboard if none of this works I may try the bench test though I do currently have an e-mail sent to the company.

Edited by Vedas, 25 February 2010 - 01:41 AM.

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
Good move. Removing all the RAM from the motherboard should provide a beep code for find no RAM. This narrows it down to a bad motherboard or a bad CPU. In my experience, the motherboard has to detect the CPU before it will give a beep code for no RAM.

In either case, I think you should contact ibuypower and see what steps you need to have this fixed/replaced.