Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Flash Drive High Speed Host Controller

• Please log in to reply

Chimiti

Chimiti

• PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
Every time I insert my Flash Drives, I am informed that my Flash Drives would perform better if they were in a High Speed Port. I am prompted to click on an Icon on the System Tray for available Ports. Clicking on that then informs me that there are NO High Speed Ports available ... that I'd need a High Speed Host Controller or something like that.

NOW ... is this a Utility or a Driver that I can download?
Or are they talking HARDWARE?

My computer is a an old HP Pavilion 6730 Celeron-based computer with around 598 MegaHz Clock. It has Windows XP SP3 with only 256 Meg of RAM. I don't know if it can even be turbo-charged to High Speed Flash Drive capability with either a Utility, Driver or Hardware.

Advertisements

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
That's a pretty dated computer and what that message is talking about is that your USB ports are proably 1.0 and it's saying the drive can run faster on 2.0. If you'd like to see if you can update to the 2.0, follow these instructions HERE.

According to HP's website, your computer has USB 1.0 Ports. But the above instructions are worth a try. Look at the quote below... Source Link: HP.com

Ports

• * 1 PS/2 keyboard
  • * 1 PS/2 mouse
  • * 2 USB 1.0
  • * 1 serial
  • * 1 parallel
  • * 1 game

Chimiti

Chimiti

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
Thanks for the reply, Ferrari! :)

Question 1: Is there somewhere that I can look in my current Windows XP setup to verify that it IS USB 1.0 that I have right now? I ask this because while you looked up that Info that indicated the HP Pavilion 6730 had a Two USB 1.0 Ports, let me point out that this computer was originally a Windows 98 computer. Would it make a difference that that's what it had originally, but it is NOW a Windows XP SP3 computer? Wouldn't the SP3 have taken care of bringing the computer up to speed into USB 2.0 territory? Or do things NOT work that way?

Question 2: Your instructions for updating those Drivers via the Device Manager seemed easy enough. Let me ask ... That Privacy Policy that they subtly throw in there ... is it any worse, any more intrusive than whatever goes on on regular Automatic Windows Updates? Or is it pretty much the same thing ... the same level of Info Collecting?

Edited by Chimiti, 25 February 2010 - 05:09 PM.

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts

Wouldn't the SP3 have taken care of bringing the computer up to speed into USB 2.0 territory?

Yes, usually SP3 does take care of it. The age of the computer (being from Windows 98 Era) leads me to believe that the ports are USB 1.0, not to mention HP's site says it came with USB 1.0. That's why I said it was just "worth a try". As far as I know, there is no way to confirm whether its USB 1 or 2, other than looking on the manufacturers website like I did. I'm not 100% sure, but the difference between 1 and 2 is due more to an update more than hardware, not entirely sure. 1.0 is a bit before my time.

is it any worse, any more intrusive than whatever goes on on regular Automatic Windows Updates?

I really don't know much about privacy policy regarding windows updates. If you say no then you can't update, you have to say yes to update, so that doesn't leave many options... just the way it is.

It's just like when you install a program and they ask if you agree to the end user agreement, if you say no, it cancels the installation, so you have to agree if you want it to install.

Chimiti

Chimiti

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
Thanks for the Info, Ferrari! I'm beginning to think it's probably a hardware issue as in yes, the computer being from the Windows 98 era ... even with Windows XP on it now, I'm probably somehow stuck with Slow Speed on my USB Ports. Ehhh, No Biggie! It's NOT some huge obstacle. I just thought I'd look into it. But, it looks like it wasn't to be.

Thanks!

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
You are very welcome. :)

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,766 posts
Try this:
  • Click Start, right-click My Computer then select Manage.

• In "Computer Management", click Device Manager in the left column.

• Then in the right column, scroll down and click the [+] to the left of "Universal Serial Bus controller".

• Now look for the word "Enhanced". For example:

Posted Image

If you see it, you've got USB 2.0. If not, you don't.
If you don't, and you've got a free PCI slot, you can add a couple of USB 2.0 ports for ~$10.00:

http://www.newegg.co...amp;Order=PRICE

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,305 posts
A old computer like what you have will not have USB 2.0. I have a old 98se upgraded to XP sp2 and I do not have the enhanced support.

The easiest way is to add a pci card as suggested.

Chimiti

Chimiti

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
Thanks, SpywareDr ... 123Runner!

I checked and it only shows - 82801AA USB Universal Host Controller.
No Enhanced in there.

So, :) on the High Speed USB Ports.
It's NOT a big deal. The only things I use my 2 USB Ports for are my Mouse, which is working fine ... and my Flash Drive. And I really only use that when I'm updating my Backup stuff in it. I don't engage in any heavy duty USB activity.