Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How to connect both a laptop and a desktop to the same docking station

• Please log in to reply

rugirl07

rugirl07

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi! I have a Dell laptop and docking station, with monitor, keyboard, mouse, etc. On the same desk, I have an HP desktop with all of the same accessories. To save space, I'd like to connect the docking station to the desktop for use with it's monitor and other things. Any ideas of how to best go about this?

Thanks!

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
what you would be looking for is a KVM switch, but that wouldn't actually solve your problem since you've got a desktop and a laptop.

a good solution for you (if your computers are networked) would be to use either remote desktop (which is included in windows xp and newer) or VNC (many flavors can be downloaded for free) to connect from your laptop to the desktop. you could then just remove the monitor and such from the desktop and just have the tower sitting under the desk. of course if you ever want to use the desktop without firing up the laptop then you'd have to lug the monitor and such out of the closet and hook it all up