Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

compaq presario 2700 want boot

• Please log in to reply

40vern

40vern

• PipPipPip
  • 436 posts
my compoq want boot. all it does is say not operating system found. i would like to get my pictures off of it as well and my email contacts and maybe ever get it to working again.

Advertisements

40vern

40vern

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts
anyone have any ideas?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Does it see it in the bios?
You could try a Linux Live cd to recover your data. As long as the HD itself is working you should have no problems.
If the HD is bad then I'm sorry to say the only option is to do a professional data recovery company and you are looking at a costly recover. Even then they do not guarantee what can be recovered.

40vern

40vern

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts
ok how do i get this cd. is it something that i can downloan on my new computer burn a copy and use in my old one?
it will let me enter in bois but i dont know much about it and i dont have a recovery for it. i wish i had made one.

Edited by 40vern, 27 February 2010 - 04:29 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Get Puppy Linux from my signature below...Get puppy-2.16-seamonkey-fulldrivers.iso download it and burn it to cd
if you don't have a burning program that will burn .ISO files get Burncdcc from my signature...it is a small FAST no frills iso burning program...

NOTE...do not put a blank cd in until burncdcc opens the tray for you
1. Start BurnCDCC
2. Browse to the ISO file you want to burn on cd/dvd ....in this case its puppy-2.16-seamonkey-fulldrivers.iso
3. Select the ISO file
4. click on Start

make sure in the bios the cd drive is the first boot device....

put the cd in the cd drive..boot your computer....puppy will boot and run totally in ram...if your hardware is is good working order you will know...
after you get it running and your at the desktop...you take the puppy linux cd out and then you can use the burner to copy all your data to cd/dvds
you can also use it to backup your data to a external usb harddrive..just have it hooked to the computer when you boot up with puppy...

==========================
quick guide for saving data...music..files on a system that will not boot using puppy Linux..

after you get to puppy desktop..
click on the drives icon...looks like a flash drive...top row..it will list all the drives connected to

your computer...

click on the red icon for the drive you want to mount...in this case its a flash drive ...puppy will

mount the drive..the drive icon turns green when its mounted...
minimize the drives mounter window..you will need it again in a few minutes..
drag the right edge of it sideways to shrink it to its narrowest size...about half the width of the screen...then drag the window to the right edge of the screen...

now click on the icon that looks like a filing cabinet (kind of yellow) on the main drive...it should
already be green..
you will see a list of all the folders on the main drive Usually your C: drive..shrink that window to
the narrowest you can..about half the width of the screen...drag that window to the left side of the screen...
at this point you should have 2 windows open on your desktop..the flash drive on the right side..
go back to the folders on the C: drive...click on the documents and settings folder...then your user
name or all users..find the folders that has your data..
drag and drop the folder with the data you want to make copies of to the flash drive window...

your options are to move ..copy ect...JUST COPY..if its to big you will have to open the folder and
drag and drop individual files until the flash drive is full...(I have a 120 GB external USB drive for
big data recovery jobs and a 4 GB flash drive for the smaller jobs)..after you get the files copied to
the flash drive...
Click on the drives mounter you minimized earlier
UNMOUNT THE FLASH DRIVE by clicking on the green icon..you will once in awhile get error messages when
unmouting the drive..ignore them..when the flash drive icon turns red again its safe to remove the
flash drive..trot on over (stroll if you want to look cool) to another computer and plug in the flash

drive and copy all the data files ( I drag and drop) to the other computer..
make sure the other computer can read them...

now delete the data on the flash drive...take it back to the misbehaving computer and plug it in

again..click on the drives icon again and repeat until you have all your data transferred to the working
system..

Thanks to happyrock

40vern

40vern

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts
hey i downloaded the seamonkeys and burnt it on a cd then i put it in my old one and sesected boot from cd but then is said no operating system found.
any ideas?

i was wondering if i did something wrong?

Edited by 40vern, 27 February 2010 - 11:44 AM.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,525 posts
Sea monkeys runs from the CD so "no operating system" will be needed.

Possibilities
You did not actually boot from the CD
Your CD drive is bad or
You did not burn seamonkeys the correct way.

Did you follow these instructions?

if you don't have a burning program that will burn .ISO files get Burncdcc from my signature...it is a small FAST no frills iso burning program...

NOTE...do not put a blank cd in until burncdcc opens the tray for you
1. Start BurnCDCC
2. Browse to the ISO file you want to burn on cd/dvd ....in this case its puppy-2.16-seamonkey-fulldrivers.iso
3. Select the ISO file
4. click on Start

123runner

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Did you change the boot sequence in your bios and made sure to save and exit?
If you burned the file any other way then how instructed it will not work.

40vern

40vern

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts
when i click on seamonkeys it ask me to open or save? is this the right program to do this in?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I don't understand what you mean by clicking on it.
When you downloaded the file then you save it to your desktop.
From there you get the burncdcc program and run it.
When ti asks for the file you browse to your desktop and pick the iso file.
The program will then open the cdrom tray for you to put a blank disc in.
Once that is done close the tray and click Burn
The program will then make the cd for you.
Leave the cd in and restart your system. If the bios is setup correctly the system will boot to Puppy Linux and you can start from there.
If you see the windows screen then the bios has not been setup to boot to the cdrom first.

Advertisements

40vern

40vern

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts
ok i kinda think that i am doing it rigt this time. in bios i select start from cd then i do f9 to save changes then insert cd. if this is right it acts like it dont want to read the disk.

40vern

40vern

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts
quick guide for saving data...music..files on a system that will not boot using puppy Linux..

after you get to puppy desktop..
click on the drives icon...looks like a flash drive...top row..it will list all the drives connected to

your computer...

click on the red icon for the drive you want to mount...in this case its a flash drive ...puppy will

mount the drive..the drive icon turns green when its mounted...

ok i did this and i get a error meesage that sais failure in case of removable media the mose common reason is media is not currently inserted. or you forgot to unmount the previously inserted media.

this is as far as i got this time

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Is the flash drive, thumb drive, external drive connected when you boot up?
If not puppy won't be able to see it once it's started.

40vern

40vern

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts
i dont have one i thought i could just burn everything to the cd drive

i will try and buy one tomorrow.

if the one computer willl boot with puppy does this mean after i get my data i can still repair the computer?

more woried about the data but just thinking in the furture

Edited by 40vern, 27 February 2010 - 10:21 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Save and exit in BIOS is usually F10 and not F9
If this is actually what you clicked then the changes have not been saved.
If you burned the Puppy Linux exactly as instructed then it should boot.