Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

compaq presario 2700 want boot

• Please log in to reply

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Right this happens when you setup the network and\or setup your connection in the browser itself.
I am trying to find the instructions so be patient. 123Runner or myself will find it for you as we are both working on your issue right now.

Advertisements

40vern

40vern

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts
sure take all the time you need

sometimes when i go to sights like this i always surprised at how nice and helpful people are.

always thanks for everything

also what would happen if i put service pack 2 on the old Compaq?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK these are not my instructions so i can't vouch for their completeness. They are good general instructions to get to what we are attempting to do.

1. Click Start > Control Panel > Network and Internet Connections > Network Connections. This path is true if Control Panel is in the Category View. If Control Panel is currently in the Classic View, just find Network Connections then click on it.
2. In the Network Connections window, there are several category options on the left panel. Click Create a new connection under Network Tasks.
3. The New Connection Wizard window will come up. Click Next. Under Network Connection Type, choose Connect to the Internet then click Next.
4. Select Set up my connection manually. Click Next.
5. Under Internet Connection, there are two options for broadband.
* If you are using DSL connection, choose the second option (Connect using a broadband connection that requires a user name and password). Click Next.
o On the ISP Name field, type your preferred name for your Internet connection. Click Next.
o On the Connection Availability window, choose My use only. Click Next.
o Enter your account Username and Password on the Internet Account Information window. Click Next.
o Click Finish.
* If you are using Cable modem connection, choose the third option (Connect using a broadband connection that is always on). Click Next. Click Finish.

Once the wizard is finished, you are now ready to use the Internet. If you set up using DSL connection
, you just need to click on the new icon added on your desktop then login. For Cable modem connection, you should be ready to browse websites now without the need to login.

Read more: http://www.brighthub...x#ixzz0jZV8YDB6

40vern

40vern

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts
when i finist the wizard i get a message that said that i do not have enough space needed

also when i call my internet provider they want to go open my internet browser so when i click on internet explorer i get an option that sais open with media center note pad etc

i tried to download internet explore 6 to a flash when i tried to install it it said that i already have a more advance system installed????????

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

when i finist the wizard i get a message that said that i do not have enough space needed

OK this is something new. Please do the following:
Go to Start then to Run
Type in compmgmt.msc and click Enter
On left side click on Disk Management
On right side you will see you hard drive.
Now I need you to take a screenshot and attach it to your next reply. Do the following to take a screenshot while the above is open and showing on your desktop.

To do a screenshot please have click on your Print Screen on your keyboard. It is normally the key above your number pad between the F12 key and the Scroll Lock key
Now go to Start and then to All Programs
Scroll to Accessories and then click on Paint
In the Empty White Area click and hold the CTRL key and then click the V
Go to the File option at the top and click on Save as
Save as file type JPEG and save it to your Desktop

Attach it to your next reply

also when i call my internet provider they want to go open my internet browser so when i click on internet explorer i get an option that sais open with media center note pad etc

This we have found could be due to a infection.

i tried to download internet explore 6 to a flash when i tried to install it it said that i already have a more advance system installed????????

This would mean that the Internet Explorer already installed is newer then IE6 and is probably IE7.

40vern

40vern

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts
please let me know if this is what you need

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yes and no. You are in the right area but it's not showing what I need to see.
RPC service is not running so we need to locate and enable it.

Go to Start then to Run
Type in msconfig and then click on the Services tab.
Now scroll through the list till you find RPC and make sure it is started. If not right click on it I think and you should be able to enable or start it. If that doesn't work then click or double click. There should be another window open. Make sure it is set to Auto start and if not set it then.
Once applied make sure it started and if not start it manually.
Redo the last instruction for the Disk Management and see if it now gives you the right window with your hard drive in it. If so please do another screenshot and attach it.

40vern

40vern

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts
this is what i found

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Ok 40Vern, I need to dissect this. And I am sure Rshaffer61 does also.

There are too many issues for this to have been a "clean" install of the OS.

Your issues/problems
Can't get to computer management
Can't get to msconfig
Trouble installing the network
IE6 comes with XP sp1 and the OS is telling you you have a later version installed.
IE wants to open with notepad
A message states that you do not have enough space
and probably more that have not surfaced yet.

I have a few questions and I will probably think of others later.

1. What was the OS installed originally on this laptop? Was it XP home, XP pro, or XP media center?
2. What OS did you install on it?
3. I believe you purchased the CD. Is this correct?
4. How is the CD labeled? Example: retail, OEM, etc?
5. How did you install it? In other words did you delete all partitions and reformat and load the OS fresh?

Rshaffer61 Could it be that he did a "repair" of his original OS with a different OS cd?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

Rshaffer61 Could it be that he did a "repair" of his original OS with a different OS cd?

Sounds like a good possibility here.

Advertisements

40vern

40vern

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts
ok lets see if i can give you some info
1. xp home edition
2. windows xp media center edition 2005 32 bit. this is the program that tiger direct instructed me to buy
3. yes bought it from tiger d
4. oem software
5. i did not delete of anything this was on a new harddrive that i bought off of ebay. all i did it install the haed drive and then i installed the operating system

if thier is any other information that i can give please let me know. i will help all that i can

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK is there any data you need to save?
We have discussed this at great length and We believe the best course of action is to start fresh.
This would mean to blow away the partition and load XP just as a new system.
We would also want to keep on top of this so that the network is setup during installation like it should be.
What do you think 40vern?

40vern

40vern

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts
sure no problem and as always thanks for all for the help

no data this time to save so just let me know what to do

but i do want to tellyou that when i tried to installl the system the other day it kept asking me for service pack 2 cd.

i got 3 cds that tiger sent me

1. is a silver cd that said xp media center editin
#2 is 2005 disc 1 it is gold color
#3. is the same as #2 but sais disk 2

Edited by 40vern, 29 March 2010 - 03:44 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK this is what you have to do.
Reboot the system and with the XP Media Center Edition disk in the drive boot to setup windows.
After going through the prompts you will reach a window that ask if you want to keep your existing OS or replace it. You want to replace it.
Now follow the steps below to do the rest.

Go HERE for step by step instructions on how to partition, format, and install XP fresh

40vern

40vern

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts
it is asking for compact disc labled windows wp professonal service pack 2cd but i dont have this