Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

compaq presario 2700 want boot

• Please log in to reply

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I realize they were not ide after the fact. I apologize for that mistake.
I see you got the right one now and i appreciate that.

Advertisements

40vern

40vern

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts
no problem for me i thank you both for all your help. everything that i have advised to do i have printed to help in the future as well as not.

thanks again

40vern

40vern

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts
i wish i new how to transfer the link to the add on ebay so everyone could look at it this way i would know if i am buying the right one.

from looks it is the closest one i can find at the moment.

40vern

40vern

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts
if i do a search for 2.5 ide hard drive are all the hard drive the same? i am not having allot of help with the guy on ebay and new egg is saying that they dont have the one that i need. i can find allot of them with a general search but now one that will say 2715us compaq Rosario.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
The link 123 Runner gave is directly to IDE 2.5 inch drives. That is what you need to look at.
The other type is SATA which will not work in your system use the link he gave you for the list of drives that will work.

40vern

40vern

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts
i have the new hard drive installed so i was wondering where do i go from hear? i have a recovery disk ordered but i am wondering if this will help or do i have to do go and buy the windows xp program?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
If you have a recovery disk ordered it should do everything for you.
It should include the original drivers as well as the OS for your system.

40vern

40vern

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts
ok i ordered them from compaq but i am wondering if they still have them. i think that i tried to do this once before and they said called and canceled the order.

did you see my post about my new computer. i am really bumed out about this though.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You mean this one?

ok i do understand what you are saying. i am trying to get my friend to join. i gave him you screen name and told him how you was so helpful. i will let you know if he does deciede to join.

40vern

40vern

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts
i was replying to the article about the auto run.

on this post or forum i found out that compaq cancelled the order on the recovery disk. they cannot send me one.
they say they cannot or do not have them any more

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Well if they don't have it then you would have to purchase either XP, Vista or Win 7.

40vern

40vern

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts
can i buy any windows xp or do i have to buy a windows xp for compaq or is it like a one size fits all?

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,525 posts
1 size fits all.
You can buy XP home, XP pro, Vista, windows 7.
I would stay with the 32bit OS. Your laptop was old and most likely is not a 64 bit computer.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You can purchase it anywhere from any store like Best Buy.
We will have to do some searching for some of the drivers since they will not be included with a retail version of XP.
You could save some money if you were to purchase what is called a OEM version. They do not have all the manuals and instructions that a retail copy would have.
You should probably look for XP Home Edition with SP3 if you can find it. If not no problem as it will update once it is installed.

40vern

40vern

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts
where can i but a oem verson and what is it?