Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

compaq presario 2700 want boot

• Please log in to reply

40vern

40vern

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts
i bought it from tiger d. i called them and they told me what i needed

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK then the problem is still it is not booting to the cdrom.
Is it a full XP cd or a upgrade?

40vern

40vern

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts
it should be a full program.

40vern

40vern

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts
i am getting a message that setup did not find any hard disk drivers in your computer

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Is bios seeing your hd and identifying it correctly?

40vern

40vern

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts
now this is something that i have not done nor am i sure how to do. i will try and see that i can find. if you have some instructions that would help.

the hard drive is new and i installed it the same way as i removed the old one. but that is all that i did

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
So if you haven't been in the bios before then you have not made sure the boot sequence is right correct?
To change Boot Sequence in your BIOS
Reboot the system and at the first post screen (where it is counting up memory) start tapping the DEL button
This will enter you into the Bios\Cmos area.
Find the Advanced area and click Enter
Look for Boot Sequence or Boot Options and highlight that click Enter
Now highlight the first drive and follow the directions on the bottom of the screen on how to modify it and change it to CDrom.
Change the second drive to the C or Main Drive
Once that is done then click F10 to Save and Exit
You will prompted to enter Y to verify Save and Exit. Click Y and the system will now reboot with the new settings.

Hopefully you have already put the XP cd in the drive before all this. If everything is setup correctly you will get a black screen with the following message in the upper left corner:
"Push Any Key To Boot To Cd". When you see this then push any key and the cd will take over. Then follow the prompts or if you need assistance we will help.

40vern

40vern

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts
when i reboot delete i get nothing

if i reboot while pressing f10 i get pheonix bios set up utility but i dont see an advance tap. this has to be done without cd.

if i do this with cd i get no hard disk found

Edited by 40vern, 25 March 2010 - 01:09 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
If no advance area look for boot area.
Look thru each area till you find the boot sequence and then make the changes.
It may be called simply BOOT

40vern

40vern

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts
in boot i have 3 options one is boot from cd and 2 other options. i moved boot from cd and i move it up to the top. them i press enter to save options.

then cd runs and it sais no hard disk found

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK then we need to find the hd.
Is the hd one of the other options?
It should be the second boot device.
Since you now have it set to boot to the cdrom first then lets try the hd diagnostics now.

Run hard drive diagnostics: http://www.tacktech....ay.cfm?ttid=287
Make sure, you select tool, which is appropriate for the brand of your hard drive.
Depending on the program, it'll create bootable floppy, or bootable CD.
If downloaded file is of .iso type, use ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/ to burn .iso file to a CD (select "Write image file to disc" option), and make the CD bootable.

NOTE. If your hard drive is made by Toshiba, unfortunately, you're out of luck, because Toshiba doesn't provide any diagnostic tool.

Thanks to Broni for the instructions

40vern

40vern

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts
ok thanks for yor help. my old hard drive is an ibm but i cannot remember what the new one is. i wish i had of looked while ago.

with the computer saying no hard disk found i took the new one out and reinstalled it. now i am getting a different message.
the one i am getting is asking for a user agreement and it is saying setup is formatting. i have not seen this page so i want to set it run and see what happens.

if i have problems i will download the probram that you gave me.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
it sounds like it is now progressing correctly. Please let us know how it goes. I will continue to monitor this topic for your results or any other questions you may have.

40vern

40vern

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts
no problem. as always i have to say thanks to everyone.

also i hope that people can read these post and learn something to help them.

i do not have any training or education so i hope that people will realize that with the right help and advice you can do allot more that you thank.

i will keep you posted

40vern

40vern

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts
rshaffer61 what -antivirus did you say that was good? i was wanting to try a new one other that norton that i have on the new one.