Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

My pc no longer detects my dvd/cd drive

• Please log in to reply

Thicknez

Thicknez

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I use to be able to burn movies and cd's, then one day I could not burn cd's anymore, but I was still able to burn movies. Everytime I stuck a cd in it would not play, and it would freeze up my pc until I took the cd out. Now it won't burn dvd anymore. I have tried everything to fix this and looked everywhere on the internet for this problem. I did the Microsoft fitit and this is what it tells me class filter drivers are corrupt, the drive is empty or the media format is not writable. The driver I am having a problem with is HL-DT-ST DVD-RW GSA-H60L SCSL CDROM DEVICE.

PLEASE SOMEONE ANYONE HELP!!!!!!

Edited by Thicknez, 26 February 2010 - 06:37 PM.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Please edit your post and remove the log. We do not use them in this forum.
Second when you say the drive is gone do you mean it is not seen in My Computer
Third:
Broni's canned speech:

One of these may help:
1. Uninstall the drive through Device Manager.
Restart computer. The drive will be automatically reinstalled.
or...
2. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060
Restart computer.
or...
3. Download, and run Restore Missing CD Drive patch
Double click on cdgone.zip to unzip it.
Right click on cdgone.reg, click Merge.
Accept registry merge.
Restart computer.
or...
4. Go to Device Manager, click a "+" sign next to IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers.
You'll see two items:
- ATA Channel0 (or Primary Channel)
- ATA Channel1 (or Secondary Channel)
Right click on each of them, and click Uninstall. Confirm.
Restart Windows. They'll be automatically reinstalled.

Thank's to Broni for the instructions

Thicknez

Thicknez

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
When I say my drive is gone what I mean is that when I go to windows media player, and click burn it tells me to connect a burner and restart the player, and in windows dvd maker there is no burner detected either. I go to device manager and it says it is working properly, and that it is updated to the latest firmware. When I stick a cd or dvd in the drive it freezes up everything and then it says the window is not responding, but as soon as I eject the cd or dvd from the drive then everything starts responding again. But like I said in my first post it stopped detecting cd's and I could still play and burn dvd's from the drive, but then a few days later it stopped detecting dvd's also.I ran the microsoft fix-it and it tells me that class filter drivers are corrupt,device filters are corrupt, drive is disabled, drive is not assigned a driver letter the drive is empty or the media format is not writable. I have done a whole system restore, and that did not fix the problem either, so now I am starting to think maybe it is just a bad drive now. I already went to Fry's and got me a super write master s-ata 24x dvd writer with lightscribe it's a samsung sh-s243n.
I tried all four of the fixes u listed and none of them worked... :)

Edited by Thicknez, 26 February 2010 - 10:19 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
And did it work?

Thicknez

Thicknez

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
No it don't detect it at in windows media player, tells me to connect a burner and restart WMP. It but the new burner as if it is a new hard disk drive, then I get a warning that it is almost full to delete some files. I was told to check out bios, but I don't know what I am doing to alter anything in BIOS.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
So you have replaced the cdrom drive and it still does not work correct?
Who told you to check the bios and why?
Is the new cdrom drive seen in My Computer