Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Having difficulty with rundll32

• Please log in to reply

Rhapsody

Rhapsody

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I've tried various websites/tutorials, and none have yielded results; if someone could help me, I would greatly appreciate it.

How my problem started: I got a virus called Windows Vista Guardian, a fake anti-virus program that goes by many names. Immediately I recognized it as a virus, and so searched the web to find out how to eliminate it, as Norton and Add/Remove Programs do not detect it. I stopped av.exe [multiple times] on the Task Manager under the Processes tab. I was told to open regedit in the black command box, which I did; however, all the files I was told to delete I couldn't find. I ended up not deleting anything, and eventually av.exe stopped showing up on Task Manager and 'Vista Guardian,' simply disappeared.

Now, however, I cannot open many programs on my computer in Control Panel. The fact that my Security Center will not open particularly worries me. As well, any program I attempt to open will not open; a window requesting I select which program to run pops up instead.

While I had the virus, windows would tell me my firewall was turned off. When I went to turn it on, [in the Security Center] Vista Guardian would pop up asking me to buy it. For this reason I believe Vista Guardian seeded itself within my files and took them with it when it, 'disappeared.' I am unsure of how the virus was deleted, as I did not delete it. I am suspicious that Norton eventually found it.

When I attempt to open my Security Center and other control panel files, I receive the message: "C:Windows/system32/rundll32.exe Application not found"

I tried to follow this tutorial: http://www.techsuppo...ndll32-exe.html

Everything in the above link matches perfectly my scenario, except for the CBS log area. I don't know how to open CBS log, so have not done so. But I did type: findstr /c:"[SR] Cannot repair member file" c:\windows\logs\cbs\cbs.log > C:\$cbs-log-0425-08.txt & start notepad C:\$cbs-log-0425-08.txt I replaced the two number sequences 0425-08 with 0226-10 the second time I entered this. Both times it came up with a blank notepad.

The other difference is that my problem in still unresolved, or esle of course I would not be writing this.

I checked the folder suggested near the bottom of the webpage, and I did indeed find a copy of rundll32. When I went to copy it into my system32 folder, however, I found the original rundll32 file.

This confused me, as I do have the original rundll32.exe file there [it was apparently never deleted] however I still get the error message saying it can't be found. I restarted my computer, and still received the same error.

What do I do?

Thank you in advance.

Advertisements

Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Ralphie

• Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts
Please go to the malware forum and follow the instructions at the top....Especially the CLICK HERE.

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty--and you may not be-- then post an OTListIt log in THAT forum.

Rhapsody

Rhapsody

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
The problem currently is not one of malware; the virus on my computer is gone. It's the problems it left behind that are giving me trouble, such as the fact that my system 'cannot find' rundll32.exe when it is exactly where it should be.

Another thing I neglected to mention is I currently can't download anything; this pops up when I try: "This link needs to be opened with an application." Then it asks me to choose which application to open it with.

It does this with everything I've tried to download.

Thank you for the suggestion though.

One thing I've considered is completely replacing my rundll.exe file with a copy I found on this computer; would this work?

Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Ralphie

• Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts
That definitely sounds like malware to me. Most anti-virus and anti-spyware scanners don't do a good enough job when removing malware, unless you got help from a Trusted Helper here, you need to post in the Virus Removal forum.