Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

wireless connection problems

• Please log in to reply

keki

keki

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Ok im officially fustrated lol...I have been trying to get my dell inspiron 1520 w/ vista to connect to my netgear wireless-g router WGR614v10 for over a week now..i am able to connect to the network just fine, but i cant connect to the internt..I have tried to resolve this on my own, but ive concluded I need help!! lol thanx in advance

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.0.6000]
Copyright © 2006 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\KeKi>ipconfig

Windows IP Configuration

Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::1152:22a9:4115:eca9%10
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 10.0.0.2
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 10.0.0.1

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 6:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 7:

Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 10:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 13:

Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::5efe:10.0.0.2%21

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 14:

Temporary IPv6 Address. . . . . . : 2002:43bb:494e::43bb:494e

C:\Users\KeKi>

Advertisements

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Greetings,

Do you have other devices on the router which are able to access the Internet?

If so, do this little test for me... I want to see if you can contact the outside in a different way...

(1) Click on Start
(2) Click on Run
(3) Inside the Run box, type CMD and press enter
(4) The command prompt will now open. Type ping google.com
(5) Make a note as to whether or not that worked
(6) While still in the command prompt, type ping 72.14.204.103
(7) Post your results in a reply to this topic

I'm thinking that your Domain Name System (DNS) settings are off. Your router needs to either have a DNS server specified, or automatically obtained by your carrier. If other devices connected to the router work, then the router's settings should be fine. The test you just ran will help determine whether or not these settings are properly set on your computer.

Let us know how the test turns out and ask if you have any questions :)

keki

keki

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hey,

I dont have other devices to connect to my router. I did do a test and windows said there was some kind of DNS error, but I do not know how to fix it..thanks

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Please try to reproduce the error and provide specifics. If you cannot reproduce it, please let me know.

keki

keki

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
when i use windows network diagnositcs it says there might be a problem with my dns configuration..windows failed to find the well known host "www.microsoft.com" using DNS. The server may be down.

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Sorry for the wait - I have been under the weather :)

This computer is running Vista, correct?

keki

keki

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Yea ive been under the weather too...Yep im using the o so great Vista lol

keki

keki

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hey...I finally was able to see if other devices were able to connect to my router..my mom's laptop and my brother's laptop are able to connect to my network but they are not able to access the internet...hope this new information helps...

DaffyKantReed

DaffyKantReed

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts
You should not be getting a 10.xx.xx.xx IP address as you had posted on Feb 26/10. Reinstall the driver for the wireless card on your Dell Inspiron 1520. (The 10 dot IP address is often associated with an Apple Airport, which is a wireless AP.) Reinstalling the driver will give us a place to start from.

From page 35 of the manual:

Restoring the Default Password and Configuration
Settings
You can restore the factory default configuration settings that reset the router’s user name to
admin, the password to password, and the IP address to 192.168.1.1.
This procedure will erase all the current configuration settings and restore the factory
defaults.
To restore the factory default configuration settings:
1. Use a sharp object such as a pen or a paper clip to press and hold the restore factory settings
button, located on the rear panel of the router, for about 5 seconds, until the Power light begins
to blink (see “Back Panel” on page 4).
2. Release the restore factory settings button, and wait for the router to restart, and for the Power
light to stop blinking and become solid green.
The factory default settings will be restored so that you can access the router from your Web
browser using the factory defaults.
/quote

Now, unplug the WGR614v10 from power so the lights go out. Connect a laptop or your desktop to the router with an ethernet cable. Connect the router to power. Now follow the manual to set up WPA/2 encryption, an SSID, and a good strong password.

Do not make the SSID too simple or use your address as your neighbours will see it. Disabling broadcast of the SSID will only stop the lamest of the lame skiddiots.

Copy the password to Notepad and copy that file to a USB stick. Anyone using your network will need it and it's not easy to type correctly.

Use 63 random alpha-numeric characters
https://www.grc.com/passwords.htm

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Yes, it sounds exactly like a DNS issue.

Are any of those devices (which are connected to your network) able to access Google if you type this IP into the address bar (where www.example.com is displayed): 74.125.67.105

If Google pops up, we know it's DNS for sure. Sounds like the router is the device at fault - I doubt each PC has a static DNS assigned. Resetting the router to default as described above will likely fix that because it sounds like someone assigned static DNS servers. Only thing is, we can fix that without doing the reset. You can either login to the admin portal for the router and change the DNS servers to something else, or set them to obtain DNS automatically thru your carrier. The only this is that some carriers (in rare situations) require you to insert the configuration yourself in order for things to work right. Make sure you know ahead of time.

Let us know :)