Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Im having trouble setting up my internet

• Please log in to reply

corn4ahead

corn4ahead

• PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
I just got a new hard drive so i have to start from square 1. I dont know how to connect to my network. My computer is the only one that uses a LAN connection. All the others are laptops that use wireless. I dont know how to get it to connect to my computer. I know my ethernet cable is plugged in.

I have a buffalo air station G54 router and a netgear modem. Do i need drivers to put on my computer?

Advertisements

DaffyKantReed

DaffyKantReed

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts
1. Unplug the router, modem, and PC from power.
2. Connect the PC to the router with an ethernet cable. Do the same from the router to the modem.
3. Power up the modem only.Wait until all LEDs are as they should be.
4. Power up the router and wait 60sec for the LEDs to become as they should be.
5. Plug in the PC and power it up. Try surfing.

In most cases no additional config. should be required.

corn4ahead

corn4ahead

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
I tried that but it did not work. I went to where out modem and router is and i unplugged it. Nothing. We also have a 5 port ethernet switch. I dont know if that has anything to do with it. I think just need to set up the connection on my computer?

DaffyKantReed

DaffyKantReed

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts

We also have a 5 port ethernet switch. I dont know if that has anything to do with it. I think just need to set up the connection on my computer?

type ipconfig /all at the cmd prompt

If you have an IP address beginning with 192.168.xx.xx, try ping www.google.com

You should see four packets sent and four received. If you do not, depower all hardware, connecting only the new PC directly to the Netgear modem.

When you say, "I just got a new hard drive" do you mean that you've replaced the hard drive and installed a fresh operating system? If so, yes, you do need NIC drivers. Take a look in Device Manager.

What OS did you install?

corn4ahead

corn4ahead

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
Yes, my hard drive crashed so i had to buy a new hard drive. I installed XP on it.

What is going into device manager going to do?

DaffyKantReed

DaffyKantReed

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts
You could, in theory, see if the NIC drivers have been installed correctly. In most cases I'd reinstall them to be sure the defaults for TCP/IP exist.

corn4ahead

corn4ahead

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
How do i reinstall them?

DaffyKantReed

DaffyKantReed

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/283658

You may need the original driver CD in some instances.