Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

rundll32 errors and all .exe execution errors

• Please log in to reply

jlinno

jlinno

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
It all begain with the infamous Windows Antivirus 2010 popups. I contacted the company and they provided me with a download fix something like "remove win.exe". Executing it did in fact eliminate the popup problem but now I can't download and install any applications, all of my control panel entries give me a rundll32 error "Application not found", I can't get to Task Manager, every thing I try to execute from the desktop proceeds to ask me to select which application I wish to use to execute the process or tells me "Application not Found", and the most disturbing result is that I cannot even repair or re-install Windows XP because it asks me which program or application I wish to use to open "Setup.exe".

I've extended past my expertise (and I've been in the computer applications business for over 40 years).

I have attempted to execute most all of the presummed fixes found on this forum to no avail.

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
the easist method to fix this is to wipe the drive and use a XP retail CD to reinstall. Yes, i know it is drastic but you can spend weeks trying to fix all the problems you are having.

You may be able to save some data by installing the drive in another computer. I do hope you back up your data often.

SRX660

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,771 posts
FWIW, I agree. More often than not, it's a huge waste of time to try and repair a severely infected Operating System (think rootkit) with the same infected Operating System. Even if you do manage to get it to boot up, there is still a good chance that the Operating System has been altered ... and these alterations are being hidden from view. One way to get around this problem is to boot from and use an original Operating System CD|DVD to attempt any repairs.