Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC Upgrade Help

• Please log in to reply

speedman

speedman

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
I have a HP Pavilion Destop PC(a306x) and need a little help. I am uprading the motherboard,power supply and adding a graphics card and 256 extra RAM. 1:The power supply I have is 300W and I want to know if I need more power. 2:Is this motherboard a good motherboard http://www.dealtime....pin_Motherboard 3:Is this graphics card good http://www.evga.com/...=128-A8-NV96-LX 4:If I need more power what power supplies would you recommend.

Advertisements

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Hi,

I would upgrade the psu to a name brand 400w or better (antec, thermaltake, ernmax ect) The video card you picked requiers only a 250w according to its specs but the motherboard will be much happier with more power.

The ram is another story, your hp according to thier website specs for that model and for some reason only has pc2100, this would be a huge bottle neck with the gigabyte board and is now in the hp system for that matter so I would not use the current ram in the hp and get 512mb of pc 3200.

normally when doing upgrades like this I get a new case to because some name brand computers cases don't except mobo's from a different manufactuer, I am not sure if this is the case with HP though it was with compaq.

Rick

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
BTW Gigabyte makes very good boards

speedman

speedman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
The motherboard in the case is a MSI, so it might be good for me to put another MSI motherboard or check with HP. If you say 250W, that means I can add a 300 or a 350W. And does enyone know a website that ship internationally.