Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Getting a 'pop-up' over a website (Need help)

• Please log in to reply

Robsurd

Robsurd

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi there,

So I'm basicly pretty much a noob as it comes to HTML and other coding. What I'm recently trying is to make a pop-up cover over a certain website someone is on.

Lets say they're at this website called www.robsurd.com
When they go to my website a sorta pop-up replaces the www.robsurd.com website.

I know it's possible since I've done it before but I lost all my coding files.

Could use some help here :)

- Robert

Advertisements

TheBug

TheBug

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
Use CSS to create a div layer that stay on top and then use Javascript to move it around.

thunderstorm387

thunderstorm387

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
Perhaps I can help. What kind of "popup" are you looking for exactly? Is it a popup that loads when you click on a link or is it a popup upon entering the site? Also is it a new tab kind of popup or does it have specific window measurements? You'll need javascript or something.

<a href="http://www.www.robsu....com/blah.html" onclick="window.open('http://www.robsurd.com/blah.html','popup','width=500,height=500,scrollbars=no,resizable=no,toolbar=no,directories=no,location=no,menubar=no,status=no,left=0,to
p=0'); return false">Click here to enter the site!</a>

Is this vaguely what you're looking for? Let me know if it doesn't work, as I'm kind of rusty.

Edited by thunderstorm387, 10 March 2010 - 09:23 PM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

Lets say they're at this website called www.robsurd.com
When they go to my website a sorta pop-up replaces the www.robsurd.com website.

...just to get this straight...what you're wanting is, if the user is viewing YOUR website as well as SOMEONE ELSE'S website (i.e. not yours) you want a popup from YOUR website to cover the other website that they're looking at?