Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Multiple Display Help

• Please log in to reply

Azlee

Azlee

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hello!

This evening I tried to plug my laptop into my TV through a HDMI cable, which has always worked in the past, but for some reason it now only shows a very thin strip of the top of the TV display. I have automatic settings so when I plug the HDMI cable into my laptop it automatically switches to the TV only display; I can't switch to dualview or other multiple monitor settings.

My laptop info:

* Processor - Intel Core 2 Duo T7350 2 GHz Dual-Core
* RAM - 4 GB (installed) 4 GB (max) - DDR2 SDRAM
* Hard Drive - 320 GB
* Operating System - Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium
* Screen - 16 in 1366 x 768
* Graphics - NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT - 512 MB

The TV is a 52" Sony Bravia, and I'm using a standard HDMI-HDMI cable for connection.

I know the problem is not the TV, as I am watching it now and it is fine. Also the problem isn't the HDMI cable as I tested running my PS3 on the same TV with the same cable and it worked perfectly. It was all working fine last week, this problem only started today.

So I need some help to resolve this issue please! I need to know how to reset the settings so that when I plug the HDMI cable in, the display doesn't automatically switch to TV only. Also I need some help as to how I can fix the TV display so that it shows the full display once again, rather than the thin strip at the top.

I apologise in advance if I have not provided sufficient information for troubleshooting; ask me if you would like to know anything else.

Thanks very much!

Advertisements

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
You'll have to mess around in the settings for multiple displays.

How to add a 2nd monitor in Vista/7:
  • With the 2nd monitor attached
  • Right Click on any open area on the Desktop
  • Select Screen Resolution
  • Click Identify and/or Detect
  • Click on each pictured monitor before changing
    resolution, orientation, etc.
  • Change Orientation if desired
  • Click Apply
  • If the settings are correct, click OK
Does this help?

Posted Image

Edited by Ferrari, 27 February 2010 - 05:18 PM.

Azlee

Azlee

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
The problem is, the moment I attach my 2nd monitor the display switches to the second monitor only, so I can't even see the desktop or change any settings as I can only see the very top of the display.

So thanks for the suggestion, but it won't work :)

I really hope that there is a fix for this.

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
That's odd, the laptop screen goes black when you attach the 2nd monitor? Does the laptop screen work at all?

All the settings and links are within that window, this is where the fix lies. Let me know the answers to those questions.

Azlee

Azlee

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
The laptop screen works perfectly well on its own. When I plug the HDMI cable into my laptop, the display switches to 'TV Only' i.e. the laptop screen turns off.

I can't change any of the 2nd display settings on that window without plugging in the HDMI cable, and when I do this I can't see the window.

I need to change some settings so that when I plug in the HDMI cable, the display doesn't automatically switch to TV only.

EDIT: I can now get the TV and laptop to both show the same display, and the TV display looks fine now. I can also configure both display independantly from each other, and both displays look fine. However when I try to switch to TV only the same problem occurs :)

Edited by Azlee, 28 February 2010 - 09:31 AM.

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
Without the HDMI cable plugged in, can you select Advanced settings >> Click Monitor Tab >> Select Properties >> Click Driver Tab >> Disable second monitor or maybe uninstall it, then try connected the monitor again? What about the trouble shooting tab? Any luck there?

I'm stumped other than that. I've never had the primary display turn off on me from plugging a cable in or attaching a 2nd monitor.

Edited by Ferrari, 28 February 2010 - 09:31 AM.

Azlee

Azlee

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
The problem is no longer the laptop monitor switching off when I plug the HDMI cable in; the problem is that the whole display is not showing on the TV, but only when I have "TV Only" selected as display.

When I try dualview, the TV display works fine when I have the laptop display selected as primary, but when the TV is selected as primary display the same problem occurs.

When I try clone view, both displays work fine (but obviously the TV's resolution can only go up to the maximum of the laptop monitor).