Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP (borked?) referred by Rorschach112

• Please log in to reply

vannilafudge

vannilafudge

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
Hello,

My computer got the "Internet Security 2010" virus a few weeks ago, and after attempts of removing it through the tutorial of a member from the Malware forum, Rorschach112, I have been referred to start a new topic under Windows XP. (This is my previous post, and it explains my computer's conditions.) Rorschach112 has taught me to create a CD, but that still didn't work. And so I have been told to state this as my problem:

" I need to send you over to the Windows XP forum, tell them I sent you over and I suspect your userinit key got borked."

Please help!

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
The problem as I see it:

Okay so it finally recognized the CD after I did what you told me to do in the previous step, but then after I chose "recovery console" and press R, it says "setup cannot find any hard disk drives installed in your computer. Make sure any hard disk drives are powered on and properly connected to your computer, and that any disk-related hardware configuration is correct. This may involve running a manufacturer-supplied diagnostic or setup progra

m

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
When you enter bios is the hard drive actually identified?

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
I looked at your other thread and you said that ...

setup cannot find any hard disk drives installed in your computer.

so first thing is to boot from the recovery console again and this time try typing chkdsk /r...
if you can't do that then give us the make and model of your computer so we can have you get a tool to test the hard drive...
we may to run sfc /scannow later but lets start with chkdsk /r first...
as a last resort we could try the steps here if you think you can follow the instructions to fix the Userinit key

Edited by happyrock, 27 February 2010 - 06:57 PM.

vannilafudge

vannilafudge

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Hello,

Thank you so much for replying so quickly.

In response to rshaffer61:

Do you mind explaining what you mean by "enter bios"? I have a very limited knowledge in computer terms and such, sorry.

In response to happyrock:

When you say "so first thing is to boot from the recovery console again and this time try typing chkdsk /r..." do you mean, type "chkdsk /r" when it's at the blue screen with the choices of "recovery console" and "Windows XP"? If so, I have tried it, and all it recognized was the 'r' part, and simply brought me to the same screen that says "setup cannot find any hard disk drives installed in your computer. Make sure any hard disk drives are powered on and properly connected to your computer, and that any disk-related hardware configuration is correct. This may involve running a manufacturer-supplied diagnostic or setup program." again.

And I have no idea how to find out the make and model of the computer, since it belongs to my friend and he won't be back from vacation for quite a while and I have no way of contacting him. I just know that it's custom-made. Is there another way I can find out this information?

Thank you, again, for everyone's help!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
To change Boot Sequence in your BIOS
Reboot the system and at the first post screen (where it is counting up memory) start tapping the DEL button
This will enter you into the Bios\Cmos area.
OK now without knowing which BIOS you ahve things will now switch to you telling us what you see.
When you enter the bios you will either see a screen that shows all your drives on your system.
OR
A screen with several areas you can go into. If this is the screen do you have a general area?

Please do not make any changes in the BIOS without instructions as a wrong change could cause your system to become unbootable

vannilafudge

vannilafudge

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Hello rshaffer61,

Oh yes, I know what you're talking about now. As a description to what I see after I enter the BIOS/CMOS area:

Title is "Phoenix - AwardBIOS CMOS Setup Utility"

then there are tabs:

Main | Advanced | Power | Boot | Exit

As for the Boot menu, there are these options:

Boot device priority
removable drives
hard disk drives
CDRom drives
Boot settings configuration
Security

And if I choose "Boot Device Priority", I see this:

1st boot device: CDRom
2nd boot device: Hard Disk
3rd boot device: Removable
4th boot device: Disabled

I hope this description was what you were looking for. Thank you

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I believe what you need to look under is the Main area.
That should give you all the drives connected to your system. You should be able to pull the model number of the hd there if it is being seen.

vannilafudge

vannilafudge

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Hello,

This is what I see under 'Main':

Legacy Diskette A: 1.44M, 3.5 in.

>Primary IDE Master: SONY DVD-ROM DDU
>Primary IDE Slave: None
>Secondary IDE Master: None
>Secondary IDE Slave: None
HDD SMAR Monitoring: Enabled

Installed Memory: 1024 MB
Usable Memory: 1023 MB

Jr0x

Jr0x

Malware removal team

• Malware Removal
  • 1,830 posts
Your HDD is not being detected.

If you are confident to open up the casing, look for your HDD. There should be a power supply cable and SATA/IDE cable connecting to your HDD.

Replug the cables and make sure they are sitted properly.

Try again to see if the MAIN detects your HDD. Make sure your PC is switch off during this period.

Advertisements

vannilafudge

vannilafudge

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Hello,

In response to Jr0x, thanks for your reply but I only know the basics to computer haha so I have no idea what HDD or SATA/IDE cable looks like. Perhaps there's a way to tell what they are?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
HDD is the hard disk drive and STA\IDE is the type of connection it would have. In the picture below the top pic is of a IDE connected HDD and the bottom is a SATA hdd.
[attachment=39462:sata_ide_lg.jpg]

vannilafudge

vannilafudge

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
I was able to see the picture you attached the first time I logged on, but for some reason, I am no longer able to see it on the message. Sorry, but do you mind trying again?

By the way, would it be possible for me to just unplug & reconnect everything that looks like it's the hdd? Or would that harm the computer in any way?
Thanks

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Here you go:

[attachment=39634:sata_ide_lg.jpg]

vannilafudge

vannilafudge

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Hello,

My computer's hard disk drive is similar to the bottom example of the picture you attached. I tried unplugging it and reconnecting it a few times, but it would still bring me to the page that says "cannot find hard disk", etc. Is there another way to tackle this?
Thanks