Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP Pro Repair Tool

• Please log in to reply

GearJamminSob

GearJamminSob

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I did read the article elsewhere on this site related to running this tool, and after exhausting the other resources I am aware of I'm thinking of running the repair tool. I have a number of Windows problems at the moment which I believe are related to having picked up something on the net (yesterday a few times I got those "free virus scanners" which are actually a software sales pitch and a virus/ malware themselves). At this time, there is one particular program (Roxio Crator Business DVD) that no longer runs properly and I cannot close without doing a hard shut down/restart. There are also Windows elements, such as "My Computer" (from the start menu, at least) which behave similarly. My conundrum, concerning the repair tool, is I do not have the XP disk for this system (but I have the product key). I do have an XP Pro disk which is a generic version, that is installed on a second desk top in the home. On the main desk top, the one I am working on, the o/s is an OEM (H/P) version of XP Pro (SP3 as well). I'm wondering, if I take the disk I have (the generic version of XP Pro SP3) and try to run a repair on the (OEM) version of XP Pro SP3, will this likely cause an issues? (or is there a reason why I should definitely avoid this altogether). Any thoughts?

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I suggest you go to the Malware Removal and Spyware Removal Forum and run all the steps located in the
START HERE. These self-help tools will help you clean up 70% of problems on your own.
If you are still having problems after doing the steps, then please post the reguested logs in THAT forum.
If you are unable to run any of the tools then start a new topic in the malware forum and put this in the subject line...I am unable to run any malware tools

If you are still having problems after being given a clean bill of health from the malware expert, then please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).

Add a link to this topic so that malware tech can see what steps have been taken here

GearJamminSob

GearJamminSob

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

I suggest you go to the Malware Removal and Spyware Removal Forum and run all the steps located in the
START HERE. These self-help tools will help you clean up 70% of problems on your own.
If you are still having problems after doing the steps, then please post the reguested logs in THAT forum.
If you are unable to run any of the tools then start a new topic in the malware forum and put this in the subject line...I am unable to run any malware tools

If you are still having problems after being given a clean bill of health from the malware expert, then please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).

Add a link to this topic so that malware tech can see what steps have been taken here

Yo, rs61,I DIDN'T ASK for help with virus removal, as I ALREADY STATED, I have TAKEN ALL REASONABLE STEPS in that regard, my question was related to the XP PRO REPAIR TOOL. I suggest you READ PEOPLE'S POSTS BEFORE REPLYING. If the administrators of this group do not allow me to ask reasonable questions without imbesciles replying with INFLAMATORY NON-ANSWERS, I will CANCEL MY MEMBERSHIP and find the answers ELSEWHERE.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Sorry

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
Excuse me? How dare you call one of the hardest-working members of the staff an imbecile. As an admin of this forum, I am happy to let rshaffer answer as many topics as he sees fit. Given that you had malware issues, his response was quite appropriate. You did not state that you had tried the steps he suggested, and malware can easily stop programs from running normally. It doesn't make sense to do a repair unless you are truly malware-free, as your problems could just recur. We never advise our tech staff to try and fix a problem when there is a possibility that malware is present, so rshaffer's response was correct. Now, you can choose to be polite about the FREE help that have asked for, or I can choose to remove your account.

Edited by sari, 01 March 2010 - 08:25 AM.

KarstenH

KarstenH

• PipPipPip
  • 382 posts
Wauw Im chocked. Nice going though Sari, you are a hardball but for gods sake you are also 100% correct. rshaffer dont let this one guy get you down. The next person might be very happy with your help so go on to that next one my friend!

Regards,
KarstenH