Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Creating a wireless LAN

• Please log in to reply

sagar13

sagar13

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
Hello,

I have a desktop PC running windows XP professional sp3, a laptop pc running windows 7 professional and a netgear router (WGR614v9). A broadband internet connection is also present.

The desktop PC uses internet as:
PC->router->modem->internet

and the laptop connect to internet via WiFi.

I wish to create a wireless LAN so as to share the files and other resources b/w PC and laptop.
I tried a couple of things before asking here...but in vain.

I can access both-the router as well as the modem via laptop as well as via PC, but I don't know how i get to access my desktop PC via laptop and vice-versa wirelessly.

Please help.
Thanking you in anticipation.

Regards,
Sagar

Edited by sagar13, 01 March 2010 - 11:57 AM.

Advertisements

3quilibrium

3quilibrium

• PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
sagar13,

Can you pleae list all of the steps you've already tried to create a workgroup to share files?

sagar13

sagar13

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
well I tried a couple of things....

I tried:

1. establishing "a home or small office network" via wizard provided in win XP (desktop PC)
2. setting up "a wireless network for home or small office" via wizard provided in win XP (desktop PC)
3. adding a network place wizard.

I tried to create a common workgroup via some steps I read somewhere on the internet, but no luck yet.

I tried to do something to my router settings, but i didn't understand a word. All i could do is specifying a particular I.P address to my laptop as well as my PC, but how do I get to access files?

I am a noob when it comes to networking. Help!!

Edited by sagar13, 01 March 2010 - 11:48 AM.